Dark brown 20mm Horween (or other quality leather) options for a white dial flieger?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Dark brown 20mm Horween (or other quality leather) options for a white dial flieger?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    khd

Dark brown 20mm Horween (or other quality leather) options for a white dial flieger?

I'm looking for a 20mm dark brown leather strap to put on my Stowa Flieger White/Blue LE, but there's a bewildering array of options out there! Ideally I'd like something that isn't too thick and has non contrast stitching along the edges, or maybe no stitching... hmmmm

I quite like the look of the Nomos brown shell cordovan (about AU$125) but I won't be able to use my Stowa buckle (OEM strap doesn't taper) and I feel it'll be a bit weird having the Nomos buckle:

Name:  5805-5819-5820-5836-5814-5837-horween-shell-cordovan-braun-gray.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  56.5 KB

I've previously bought from an Etsy seller called 'JonesInTokyo' but his prices seem to have gone through the roof and he's now charging around AU$180 for a strap similar to the Nomos... but on the plus side the buckle will be unsigned which I prefer (or I could specify untapered and use my Stowa buckle, but it might be a bit overpowering if the strap ends up being a lot thicker than my OEM Stowa strap):

Name:  il_794xN.995516488_c5b2.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  55.3 KB

The other option I'm considering is FinWatchStraps... their 'classic' stitched style (with the two stitches up near the lug) seems to be excellent value but I'd probably rather go with either un-stitched:

Name:  Watch_strap_1_70ecb435-a4c0-44d9-8ae0-66f80725143b_1500x.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  189.9 KB

or fully stitched as I prefer the look (but it also increases the cost significantly to around the same as JonesInTokyo):

Name:  Watch_strap_2_7d81bebb-7581-4ed7-9618-9888268bf5c2_1500x.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  195.3 KB

So what do you guys reckon? I'd love to hear of any other options out there, particularly anything that might be a little more affordable than these custom straps!

Name:  16D36A24-B344-4DC1-BBCC-E8CD8997D91D_1561280141704.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  973.4 KB

Re: Dark brown 20mm Horween (or other quality leather) options for a white dial flieger?

You could just order another buckle (or buckles) from Stowa with appropriate width so you don't need to worry about the tapering. Otherwise I think that dark brown shell cordovan would look very good on your Flieger. I have a Nomos strap (not on a Nomos watch though) and the quality is great and the strap has lasted many years so I definitely recommend their straps. I believe they are actually made by Fluco so you might consider purchasing their strap as an option. As for the buckle just email Stowa and order one as it would be best to have an original buckle with your watch whatever strap you'll buy.
    khd likes this.

Re: Dark brown 20mm Horween (or other quality leather) options for a white dial flieger?

khd likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

khd

Quote Originally Posted by Sasropakis View Post
    You could just order another buckle (or buckles) from Stowa with appropriate width so you don't need to worry about the tapering. Otherwise I think that dark brown shell cordovan would look very good on your Flieger. I have a Nomos strap (not on a Nomos watch though) and the quality is great and the strap has lasted many years so I definitely recommend their straps. I believe they are actually made by Fluco so you might consider purchasing their strap as an option. As for the buckle just email Stowa and order one as it would be best to have an original buckle with your watch whatever strap you'll buy.
    Thanks heaps for this suggestion... I think I might give the Fluco option a try as they're a bit cheaper again than Nomos.

Also, is your Nomos strap padded, or flat? From the website it looks like they are flat, but Fluco seem to have both options available.

Thanks mate, I'll have to check some of these out

khd

Hmm maybe contrasting stitching would be best... this one by Jankoxxx looks pretty good https://www.watchstrapheaven.com/lis...romexcel-watch

My Nomos strap is flat but it's actually a thicker reinforced model which they don't make anymore. Their straps are usually flat except those meant for their high end watch Lambda but those straps are also considerable more expensive. Fluco makes both flat and padded straps and they do offer some models with contrasting stitching like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluco-feine...QAAOSwAYtc2bZQ
    You can just search eBay for "Fluco cordovan 20mm". Usually you can find the straps significantly cheaper on eBay.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  47.9 KB
    khd likes this.

khd

Wow, I see what you mean about those Lambda straps... beautiful, but quite pricey!

Fluco definitely seems like a cost effective option but at this point I'm probably slightly leaning towards the FinWatchStraps offerings - Sasropakis, looks like they hail from your neck of the woods

Yes, FinWatchStraps are located only about 15km from where I live. I don't have any personal experience with their straps but they look great and are definitely suitable for your Stowa Flieger as the straps have kind of military vibe in them.
    khd likes this.

I think the Fin unstitched would pair very well. The clean lines match the clean dial.

Another thought:

https://www.bandrbands.com/mocha-vin...atch-band.aspx

Top stitched, cuz I agree that corner stitch isn't quite right for that dial, UNLESS you go white stitching on a light blue or green dial. (And B&R has a birch suede that I really like.)
    khd likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

khd

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    I think the Fin unstitched would pair very well. The clean lines match the clean dial.

Another thought:

https://www.bandrbands.com/mocha-vin...atch-band.aspx

Top stitched, cuz I agree that corner stitch isn't quite right for that dial, UNLESS you go white stitching on a light blue or green dial. (And B&R has a birch suede that I really like.)
    Thanks for the suggestions mate - I've been checking out that bandrbands site and there are quite a few options on there as well

I agree about the unstitched Fin... I think the fully stitched might be a bit too thick and 'rustic' for such a thin and relatively dressy watch, whereas the Nomos/Fluco option looks relatively refined. Also good to hear your thoughts about the corner stitch... I had that style on my Damasko DA36 previously and have definitely ruled it out for this one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information