Dealing with NATO/Zulu Philistines

Thread: Dealing with NATO/Zulu Philistines

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dealing with NATO/Zulu Philistines

Just put my father's repaired Seiko 6309 on a nice 22mm Maratac Zulu 2-ring. Showed it to my friend who prompty blasted me for using "those cheap looking cr*ppy nylon bands". He's not a watch-guy per se, though he does wear a Skagen quartz.

I love the look, economy, toughness, styling and security of these bands and I think it's a prefect compliment to the watch's true nature. Especially the diving heritage of the Seiko.

Any advice for explaining that the Zulus and Natos are part of real hardworking tool-watch styling regardless of what the fashionista's think?

Sponsor

Re: Dealing with NATO/Zulu Philistines

I would'nt bother explaining it just yet....

wait for his Skagen to have a spring bar break on him and his watch fall to the floor and break....

then, I think would be the right time to explain the benefits of a NATO Nylon strap.....

Just don't let him see your smug grin though !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sween1911 View Post
    Just put my father's repaired Seiko 6309 on a nice 22mm Maratac Zulu 2-ring. Showed it to my friend who prompty blasted me for using "those cheap looking cr*ppy nylon bands". He's not a watch-guy per se, though he does wear a Skagen quartz.

I love the look, economy, toughness, styling and security of these bands and I think it's a prefect compliment to the watch's true nature. Especially the diving heritage of the Seiko.

Any advice for explaining that the Zulus and Natos are part of real hardworking tool-watch styling regardless of what the fashionista's think?
    When you need to explain, no explanation will do.

Waterbornes Rhinos Zulus NATO's calico jacks are ALL the shiznet, and fitted to dive watches especially, are usually great combo's, whats not to love about them? Cheap strong looks cool.

Last edited by SHANE 1000; January 1st, 2009 at 18:41.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd explain to him the band's military heritage, and that it is not just a watchband, but a fully functioning close quarters weapon. If he doubts you, hold the strap near his face until the zulu-stank causes him to pass out.

Just kidding. I love the Zulu straps. :) I just need to throw them in the dishwasher more often.

[/quote]

Hey Shane, which brand of strap is this? I've been looking for a green zulu-type strap that's more of a forest green, like this one is, as opposed to the brownish olive-green that my OD zulu seems to be.

Hey Shane, which brand of strap is this? I've been looking for a green zulu-type strap that's more of a forest green, like this one is, as opposed to the brownish olive-green that my OD zulu seems to be.[/quote]
    OD Rhino with subdued hardware from Howard Marx.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Shane, AWESOME pics! I love that combo of the heavy duty watch on the zulu/nato. Thanks!

Hey, is that last one a MKII conversion of a Seiko?

Inactive

Nato all the way,.....I also have 2 Maratac Nato/Zulu's that wear.
    A lot of people will not like the Nato's....don't mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by sween1911 View Post
    Shane, AWESOME pics! I love that combo of the heavy duty watch on the zulu/nato. Thanks!

Hey, is that last one a MKII conversion of a Seiko?
    Yep it's a Bill Yao mod.

Well, for the fashionistas, it should be enough to say that it's a traditional way to secure a dive or military watch to ones wrist and it was good enough for James Bond to wear with a formal dinner jacket in Goldfinger, so what's the problem? If I'm going to wear a watch as jewelry, I'll put it on a bracelet. Otherwise, as you so eloquently put it, I'll match it with a strap that is a "perfect compliment to the watch's true nature."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information