Deployant clasp vs Buckle?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Deployant clasp vs Buckle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deployant clasp vs Buckle?

Hi all,

Considering a deployant clasp for a leather strap and since I've never had one curious of others opinions (as who on the forum doesn't like dishing them out)?

Are they comfortable?
    Do they add bulk and thickness?
    Butterfly vs single fold?

I've had a quick search of the forum and seen nothing recent so fire away. Thanks

Re: Deployant clasp vs Buckle?

I tried one on a new Tudor, and an affordable Citizen I bought came with one - I found them both bulky and ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with a plain old buckle IMHO.
    Morrisdog and CrownAndBuckle like this.

I had one on my Speedy and loved it. Unlike Vinegar, I didn't find it bulky at all - and that's something I'm usually picky about (Strapcode, I'm looking at you, lol). I think they're brilliant, and extend the life of your strap. I had a single fold.
    Rolex GMT Master II 16710, Rolex Datejust 116223, Zenith 2542, Seiko SKX031, Seiko SKX173

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have about 5 of them, most are relatively inexpensive at about $20, although a couple came with the watch or strap. I have one single fold and the rest are butterfly. All are reasonably comfortable. All add bulk and thickness. I prefer the single fold and if I were to buy any more, it would probably be that type.

The biggest advantages to them is they can make taking the watch on and off easier and faster. They also save wear and tear on the strap. Otherwise a buckle is usually more comfortable.

I have a few:

Tudor
    Tag Heuer
    Patek
    Hublot
    Chopard
    Panerai
    IWC
    Omega
    UN
    Sinn
    Breitling "style" from Panatime

I list them all because they all fit slightly differently. Different lengths, different curvatures and different thicknesses. I find most to be VERY comfortable on MY wrist but some really aren't and in those cases I would prefer a tang buckle.

My favorites are single fold for whatever reason they overall fit my wrist better BUT the two that have the poorest fit (comfort) on me are also single fold.

My favorites are the Omega, Hublot and Tag. My least favorites are the Tudor and the unbranded Breitling copy. Everything else falls between them but more on the comfortable end.

I say all this not to suggest you necessarily buy something similar to the Omega but they simply aren't the same across the board. That said unless you have say a 7.1/4" wrist or larger that is flat on the bottom I would try an Omega style clasp. The only negative is they use strap holes so they aren't infinitely adjustable like for example the Tag and Breitling versions. You can get unsigned Omega style clasps on eBay (but like all of them you have to ensure you have a compatible strap) but if you go the eBay route buy from a US shipper, the Chinese direct shippers often send signed (counterfeit) clasps even if the auction pictures show a sterile clasp,same with Aliexpress. I learned the hard way and after two tries and two in the trashcan, I just bought the Omega clasp.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Double deployant > buckle > single deployant
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

I prefer a good well-made deployant (which smoothly overcomes any issues of bulkiness and fit) over a buckle any day, as it is faster, and more importantly, greatly extends the life of the strap, which is especially important for expensive, one-of-kind, custom straps. That said, I don't mind regular tang buckles, and especially like some of the custom or unique OEM buckles--the only ones I don't especially like are the plain generic ones that come with inexpensive aftermarket straps.
    Nokie likes this.

Always prefer a deployant.

I find tang buckles incredibly fiddly and that they ruin straps over time. So the first thing I do to any watch that arrives with a strap is to replace the buckle with an Omega-style clasp. The original buckle goes into the watch's box so it's handy for reverting the strap before selling the watch (if I were to ever do that).

Benefits:

- With a clasp it only takes a second to put the watch on or take it off.
    - I no longer have to worry about strap keepers or dangling ends.
    - The clasp arm helps keep the watch from rotating on my wrist.
    - I never drop a watch while trying to thread the !#$% strap through the %$^&! buckle.
    - All my straps continue to look new.

Disadvantages:

- The clasp arm is a little bulky with a layer of strap above and below it.
    - I can't hang watches up by their buckle.
    - I can't lay the watch flat in a watch roll or box.
    - I can't get clasps for straps wider than 20mm at the buckle (except for Hublot-style ones which are truly awful).

Thanks all. Really didn't need much convincing but certainly appreciate the input.

@ilitig8 I've decided to go the omega style, certainly a good look.

Not expecting quick shipping here to Australia but will report back once it arrives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information