Deployment buckles uncomfortable on larger bands?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WatchObsession

Thread: Deployment buckles uncomfortable on larger bands?

Deployment buckles uncomfortable on larger bands?

So I just picked up a SevenFriday P2/1. Great looking watch. Not a big fan of their straps though. Feel rather cheap. Talking to Combat Straps about having a custom made. He recommended I go with a tang buckle rather than a deployment. Said the deployments feel rather uncomfortable on wider bands. Anyone have this experience? Personally I like the style of deployments much more. Any input welcome.

Sponsor

Re: Deployment buckles uncomfortable on larger bands?

​Personally, I would advise a deployment clasp if possible with any strap, it prolongs the life of a strap over using a buckle.

Alot of strap makers, as in Combat Straps, predominately make straps in excess of 4mm which do not make the best thickness to suit a deployment, but do still fit.
    CADstraps likes this.
    " Started as a hobby.....but is now clearly a WatchObsession and the day job !!"

http://www.WatchObsession.co.uk

Official Stockist of straps from many brands including

HIRSCH, DI-MODELL, RIOS1931, JPM, CRAFTER BLUE, ZEALANDE, ERIKA's ORIGINALS, ISOFRANE and more

Banned

I use butterfly deployants on all of my straps. My largest is on a 5mm thick 22mm wide Kain Heritage and I do not find it at all uncomfortable. Frankly, I've seen some massive tang clasps that protrude and look more uncomfortable to me. I've found that Hadley Roma butterfly accommodates a 5mm thick strap. Timepiecerepublic on ebay lists deployants for thick straps, up to 5.5mm thick.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Every individual will have his or her own tastes, but i think WatchObsession nailed it.

That SevenFriday watch will look and fit fine on a deployment if that is your preference - just ask the custom maker to taper the long end of the strap a bit. If it is, say, 4mm at the lugs, just tapering the thickness down to 2.5/3mm from the lug end to the tail end will make all the difference in the world.

As far as I'm concerned, even though they look great, MOD type buckles provide the least comfort. I have 2 straps with them and wear them all the time, but they sacrifice more comfort than anything else i've tried. Again, they look like a Boss though.
    Influence is like the wind...

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I have a 24mm deployant on one of my Panerai straps and it feels and fits just fine. Some of the really thick custom straps are sometimes a challenge, depending on the clasp, but the generic butterfly deployants tend to be designed to accommodate thicker straps.

As was said above, the greatest benefit of a deployant is that it will probably extend the life of your strap by a factor of 3-4X. A Tang buckle puts a lot of wear and tear on a stap.

Thanks for the insight. These were my thoughts exactly. Considering the strap is made from Louis Vuiton leather I wanted to get as much longevity out of it as I can. Will post pics when it's done.

I had a butterfly on a 24mm, 4mm thick strap to match the watch and it was very comfy, but a combat clasp would be the best security.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information