Does anyone know where to get custom precious metal watch straps made? ie 18k gold?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Does anyone know where to get custom precious metal watch straps made? ie 18k gold?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anyone know where to get custom precious metal watch straps made? ie 18k gold?

Hey guys, long time lurker and new member here!

Ive searched and never seen a question like this come up, I must be an exception in asking.

Long story short, Im going to buy the 3695.50.31 Speedmaster Pro in Gold with the black alligator strap. I've wanted one for years. I kind of was on the fence about the full gold one, if I could ever find it in a good price.

Lo and behold, one came up and I was going to splurge on a full gold one that came up on Ebay. I purchased it using Buy it Now and they told me I have 5 days to pay. So I decided to sleep on it and pay in the morning, but low and behold, someone who was watching it and saw it gone on eBay panicked, went to the watch seller's website (where it was still listed), and bought it immediately and paid in full. I woke up to a cancelled order. The other guy was kind of an ass for doing that, but I believe the seller was worse, they didnt even give me a chance to get the watch within their policy even though I won the auction. Kind of shady in my opinion, but hey maybe it was a blessing, it was from 2006 and brand new but no paper work. I was a bit hesistant about spending 14k on that watch without at least that info.

Anyways, to my question. The only difference between the 3695.50.31 and the 3195.50.00 is the watch strap. Everything else is identical. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone sells just the 3195.50.00 gold Speedmaster watch strap on it's own ever. So Im stuck with 3 options:

1) Wait for another full gold Speedmaster in good condition (which don't come around very often),
    2) buy the alligator strap version, and either find the strap one day and change it out.
    3) Get a custom gold strap made in 18k solid gold when the time is right.

Im curious about option 3. Is it even an option? Are there any jewellers that make straps like this? I know theres a lot of fine artistans doing leathers and exotic skins, but Ive never seen a custom gold strap. Probably because a lot of people would just buy the watch they want, or contact Rolex or whatever to get the strap. But, I dont know how this would affect resale value, if at all, of if Omega even has this item anymore since its discotinued in 2013 I believe.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Does anyone know where to get custom precious metal watch straps made? ie 18k gold?

Maybe your best bet is either the brand's boutique or AD (for accessories,but gold bracelet will be really expensive I presume)

Maybe there'll be a jeweller that'll do it but it will be considered as unoriginal and might not fit the watch that well,I'm a jeweller and I've never created watch bracelets though...

For 14k,I'd rather buy other watch though...maybe pre owned AP ROO diver...or maybe a rose gold Pam (seen pam 103 for around $12-13k before)

Personally all gold watch is a bit too much for me,gold with leather strap looks more doable....
    OvrSteer likes this.

Re: Does anyone know where to get custom precious metal watch straps made? ie 18k gold?

Welcome to the forums! If you want gold, 14k will buy a preowned a Lange 1815 up/down or a preowned Rolex President. Both would be far better options in my view.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If there is a way to get a custom metal strap made out of gold I don't know what it is. I do know that to do so would be prohibitively expensive, and you would be far far better off financially just buying a replacement from an AD or getting a used one that will work from the grey market/ebay.

Let's see if I've got this right, you saw a gold Speemaster Pro on a gold bracelet, went to buy it, didn't pay for it though, and someone else bought it instead? Well to be honest if you really wanted it you should have paid for it there and then but nevermind. Look, how important is the gold bracelet to you anyway? If the watch itself is more important then just buy it with the alligator strap and save yourself a ton of money.

Apologies if I've got it all wrong, I think I might have possibly got a bit confused. Just to clarify, when you refer to an 18k gold strap do you actually mean a gold watch bracelet (as opposed to a strap with an 18k buckle)?
    Karkarov likes this.

Edited to add: the very first thing I'd do is see if Omega sells the OEM bracelet. u/archer (@archer) is THE most knowledgeable person in the universe on this subject.

Original: My solution is based on the assumption that making endlinks is easier than an entire bracelet. So... If this were me, I'd probably do the following:

1. Obtain OEM Omega 18k bracelet from a similar watch (no idea what is out there, but I'd search for the most similar in terms of style and lug width.)

2. Send bracelet with watch head to Michael Young in Hong Kong. (For this price range, I'd actually GO to Hong Kong.) I would include written instructions and drawings/diagrams on what my expectations are, to avoid major disappointment at the end.

3. Pray to the watch gods.
    Last edited by chrisleger1; December 14th, 2016 at 18:48.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Astrath.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

This is probably going to be even weirder, but does anyone know anything about the bracelet end links on Omegas? I've always loved the vintage speedmaster bracelet (ie Rolex jubilee presidential bracelet style). I came across this solid gold bracelet in 20mm lugs. Would the end pieces fit on a gold speedy?

ebay.com/itm/262441698442?ul_noapp=true

Would be helpful if I knew it would fit before ordering, and if it would scratch my watch case.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for the replies BTW, I should mention that I can order the bracelet from an Omega Store, but it's more than the price of the watch with leather band itself (since its retail) which defeats the purpose of buying second hand.

PS. I didnt get into detail about why I didnt make payment, but the seller said I have 5 days to make payment. I had to move money around since its clearly a large purchase. It hadnt even been 24 hours and they cancelled the my order. Believe me, I wanted the watch Ive called all over Europe since trying to locate one

Quote Originally Posted by KHALIDJIWA View Post
    This is probably going to be even weirder, but does anyone know anything about the bracelet end links on Omegas? I've always loved the vintage speedmaster bracelet (ie Rolex jubilee presidential bracelet style). I came across this solid gold bracelet in 20mm lugs. Would the end pieces fit on a gold speedy?

ebay.com/itm/262441698442?ul_noapp=true

Would be helpful if I knew it would fit before ordering, and if it would scratch my watch case.

Cheers!
    I don't think the end links on that bracelet would fit an omega unfortunately. I may be wrong, but at 5k, I would not risk it. You could contact the seller and ask them to send you pictures of it on an omega to prove it works.
    Nokie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information