Does Oily/Greasy Skin Damage Rubber Straps ?

Thread: Does Oily/Greasy Skin Damage Rubber Straps ?

Does Oily/Greasy Skin Damage Rubber Straps ?

You might think this is a stupid question, but please bear with me. I am asking because, from personal experience, I believe it might. I have pretty oily skin/hair etc. which is quite a nuisance!

Firstly, I had noticed in the past, with my hi-quality headset such as Sennheiser, etc., some of which have a rubbery coating on the ear muffs, that they got damaged pretty quickly compared to those used by my brother or my wife for example, they having "normal" skin.

With watch strap, there's nothing to compare it with really but I did notice on one of my Casio's, a G-Shock that has made it into my rotation and hasn't been flipped for a few years that the strap is starting to look a bit unwell. It doesn't get worn that much, maybe a few weeks, maximum one month total in a one year period.

So, is anybody else experiencing this ? Maybe some chemists here on the forum that might have some fancy explanations ?

P.S. I do try to wash/rinse (with mild soap) the strap after wear, since I noticed this, not sure whether that helps much though.
    JDM FTW

My 2 ultimate grails are VFM and TOTC.
    A good read is like medicine for the brain.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: Does Oily/Greasy Skin Damage Rubber Straps ?

Unless you sweat WD-40, I'm more inclined to think that what you're seeing are dirt and sluffed skin deposits built up in combination with the oil. It doesn't take long for this to happen.

What I find really works well is to spray my rubber watch straps and Natos (and watch cases, if they're dirty) with a mild soap scum cleaner like Scrub Free (Original) Soap Scum Remover. It breaks down the deposits within seconds, in combination with light scrubbing with a toothbrush. It's fairly mild, and it's only on the watch and strap for a few seconds, so it's safe to use (I've never had any issues with using it). Washing your watch with soap will leave a residual film that attracts more dirt and oil; Scrub Free won't.

Re: Does Oily/Greasy Skin Damage Rubber Straps ?

What I find really works well is to spray my rubber watch straps and Natos (and watch cases, if they're dirty) with a mild soap scum cleaner like Scrub Free (Original) Soap Scum Remover. It breaks down the deposits within seconds, in combination with light scrubbing with a toothbrush. It's fairly mild, and it's only on the watch and strap for a few seconds, so it's safe to use (I've never had any issues with using it). Washing your watch with soap will leave a residual film that attracts more dirt and oil; Scrub Free won't.
    Good suggestion.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information