does quality of springbar matter?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: does quality of springbar matter?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

does quality of springbar matter?

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a set of spring bars for a Sinn. I could either buy 5 dollar bars on amazon or buy 35 dollar bars from Sinn.

Is there any difference to these two? I'm going to guess that it doesn't matter - but i'm not sure.

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: does quality of springbar matter?

The real question to ask: how much to you want to risk your Sinn?
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Dan T. View Post
    The real question to ask: how much to you want to risk your Sinn?
    Why would good quality spring bars suddenly expose his watch to an elevated risk?

OP, check out Esslinger.com or OFrei.com. I trust them more than I do the average seller off Amazon. As for the question...unless Sinn's offering a fixed bar or something? No way I can see $35 for spring bars.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f222/t...l#post44204743
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/do-...l#post38407026
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f222/b...l#post28321530

A quote from Boley

- Economic spring bars are suitable for standard and fashion watches. Solid quality for a price-conscious repair.

- Swiss Made spring bars are often used in exclusive and high-quality watches. They are of the highest quality with polished and shiny surfaces.
    Nokie and whineboy like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Swiss Made spring bars are often used in exclusive and high-quality watches. They are of the highest quality with polished and shiny surfaces.
    Yup.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; January 15th, 2020 at 19:12.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Why would good quality spring bars suddenly expose his watch to an elevated risk?

OP, check out Esslinger.com or OFrei.com. I trust them more than I do the average seller off Amazon. As for the question...unless Sinn's offering a fixed bar or something? No way I can see $35 for spring bars.
    Fixed or not, I can't see even Sinn charging $35/pair of spring bars. Maybe they have tiny dehumidifying capsules inside?
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post

Because I'm guessing the OEM spring bars fit better. I've played this game long enough that I don't like to swap out OEM spring bars if I can avoid it. There's a lot that goes into a spring bars, like the tip, the collar, the spring strength, and most importantly, the spring bar's diameter. For a beater, yeah who cares just grab whatever and you're good to go. But for a Sinn, if it were me, I'd go OEM.

But I'm anal retentive so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    phillyforager likes this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Dan T. View Post
    Because I'm guessing the OEM spring bars fit better. I've played this game long enough that I don't like to swap out OEM spring bars if I can avoid it. There's a lot that goes into a spring bars, like the tip, the collar, the spring strength, and most importantly, the spring bar's diameter. For a beater, yeah who cares just grab whatever and you're good to go. But for a Sinn, if it were me, I'd go OEM.

But I'm anal retentive so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I can see going OEM, but I seriously doubt that Sinn is making their own spring bars or sourcing them differently than other reputable German watch companies. Pretty sure they source them from the same Swiss suppliers as Ofrei & Esslinger. Not even Rolex OEM spring bars are $35/pair!
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen-gmt-master View Post
    Fixed or not, I can't see even Sinn charging $35/pair of spring bars. Maybe they have tiny dehumidifying capsules inside?
    They weren't charging 35/pair, they were charging me 35 per bar!!
    bjjkk likes this.

Sinn probably doesn't make their own straps, much less spring bars. I suspect few companies do.

And, why would almost any but the most completely vertically integrated (Rolex, Seiko, Citizen, maybe a few others) not just buy spring bars from a supplier? It's far, far cheaper to do that; they have economies of scale you'll never have, unless you're one of the giants.

I agree that this is a bad place to lowball; Otto Frei has the top grade bars from Swiss Made...they're like $5 a pair...and less if you buy more.

The Highest Quality Swiss Made Spring Bars

An interesting comment...one of the bars on that page is 27 mm wide...compressing down to fit 22 mm lugs. They're listed as potentially hard to remove; I can certainly believe that. I'll copy some of the text:

While, this may cause trouble some I have to say I was told 30 years ago by a very respected watchmaker of his time, and again yesterday by the most honored watchmaker visiting our store alive at this time that..."a hard to remove springs bars is a good thing...and that cutting them out is something they do on a regular basis after installing for safety an extra large bar in the first place".
    And, ya know, I can buy that. So maybe start by trying a bar that's 1 or 2 mm wider, especially if you don't swap straps very often.
    Dan T. and phillyforager like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information