Thread: Fliplock/diver's clasp for leather

Fliplock/diver's clasp for leather

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of something in this sort of arrangement:
    Name:  41a5KSFVYIL.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  19.1 KB

...but perhaps of higher quality?

I am wanting to put a curved-end Omega-style rubber strap on my Sumo (http://www.timekeeper.co.nz/download/file.php?id=7516), but don't want to fork out $300+ for the omega deployant. Plus, if I take the watch swimming/diving/surfing, the diver's-style clasp looks like it would be significantly sturdier, so I am trying to avoid the cheaper deployants that act in the same fashion as the Omega one (ie http://dvdweb.com/timepiecepro/omega18a.jpg)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Might check the sticky at the top of this forum for a list of on line vendors for one suggestion.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: Fliplock/diver's clasp for leather

What's the width of your strap at the tail ends? Oris makes the best diver deployants in the biz for their Aquis and Prodiver line, in my opinion (if the size works), and they should work for your style of strap. They have a brilliant diver extension/micro adjust system, too. You can often get them for a decent price on the bay. They look just like this, but this one for sale is for the smaller ladies watch (14mm wide at the tail) and lacks the micro adjust feature of the men's versions.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; February 11th, 2015 at 17:58.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You might check both strapcode.com and tungchoy.com

They might not have that exact design but I know they do make individual flip lock diver clasps that can be installed on your own, as one suggestion.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    What's the width of your strap at the tail ends? Oris makes the best diver deployants in the biz for their Aquis and Prodiver line, in my opinion (if the size works), and they should work for your style of strap. They have a brilliant diver extension/micro adjust system, too. You can often get them for a decent price on the bay. They look just like this, but this one for sale is for the smaller ladies watch (14mm wide at the tail) and lacks the micro adjust feature of the men's versions.
    I was actually eyeing this one off, but

A) it is still hugely expensive and I can't find one without the strap included

B) I am unsure if they make an 18mm version

BTW, the clasp in your picture requires that the strap part that feeds through (not the side that is pinned to the deployant) be very thin and have holes. That specific clasp has a little bar to fit the strap holes.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by nick_sixx View Post
    I was actually eyeing this one off, but

A) it is still hugely expensive and I can't find one without the strap included

B) I am unsure if they make an 18mm version
    They are definitely not cheap, but they're exceptional quality so you get what you pay for. It's true that Oris won't sell the clasp without it being in combination with the strap (even though they will sell the strap by itself), but I have seen the clasps by themselves come up on eBay periodically (I bought a titanium Aquis clasp this way). All you can do is keep your eyes open if you're interested.

I'm not sure if the Aquis clasp is 18mm or 20mm wide (because I sold my Aquis and can't refer to it anymore). I have an Oris ProDiver with the same clasp design, and it's 20mm, but it's a much bigger watch so the Aquis might be 18mm. I've texted the guy I sold the watch to, to see if he'll confirm the width for me.

The only other thing to be aware of, as slccbrown mentioned above, is that when you have clasps like these (either diver style or dress style) where the tail of the strap is routed to the inside against your wrist, they usually require the tail end of the strap to be thinner than normal. In the case of the Aquis or ProDiver clasp, the thickness of the strap tail can't exceed 2mm.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; February 13th, 2015 at 00:31.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    They are definitely not cheap, but they're exceptional quality so you get what you pay for. It's true that Oris won't sell the clasp without it being in combination with the strap (even though they will sell the strap by itself), but I have seen the clasps by themselves come up on eBay periodically (I bought a titanium Aquis clasp this way). All you can do is keep your eyes open if you're interested.

I'm not sure if the Aquis clasp is 18mm or 20mm wide (because I sold my Aquis and can't refer to it anymore). I have an Oris ProDiver with the same clasp design, and it's 20mm, but it's a much bigger watch so the Aquis might be 18mm. I've texted the guy I sold the watch to, to see if he'll confirm the width for me.

The only other thing to be aware of, as slccbrown mentioned above, is that when you have clasps like these (either diver style or dress style) where the tail of the strap is routed to the inside against your wrist, they usually require the tail end of the strap to be thinner than normal. In the case of the Aquis or ProDiver clasp, the thickness of the strap tail can't exceed 2mm.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping that the strap I'm looking at will have a thin enough "tail" ....I'm guessing it will as it is specifically designed for that type of deployant mechanism

Anyone know anything about the quality of something like this:

Faltschlösschen für Lederbänder 18,0 mm - Beco Technic

Thread Information