Halios Bluering Leather strap design - Opinions welcome-
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Halios Bluering Leather strap design - Opinions welcome-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Halios Bluering Leather strap design - Opinions welcome-

Aloha,

I am thinking about custom ordering a strap to go along with my Bluering. I have been thinking about something like that. The lugs on the Bluering are 22mm but with my design, the strap would become a 30mm. Is it too big? What do you think in terms of fitting a butterfly clasp or something in the like? Is there such a size? How big can the strap be tapered in order to fit a regular clasp size without looking unbalance?

I love the baby blue color, but not quite sure how I would feel wearing a 30mm strap in this color all day long. Also how would the strap react where it meets the concave portion of the case? I doubt it would stay snug to the case... like the oem bracelet does.

Any ideas? comments and suggestions? Edit: the strap would be either completely black or blue, no half half...I just did this to give you a quick exemple.

Best,
    Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Eraserhead; February 5th, 2012 at 23:37.
    I stroke it to the east, And I stroke it to the west, And I stroke it to the woman that I love the best
    I be strokin

Re: Halios Bluering Leather strap design - Opinions welcome-

As far as color goes, I'd def go the black w/ blue stitch over the reverse. I think it would grow tiresome after a while.
    From 30mm I don't see any reason why you can't taper it to at least 24mm and be able to get the conventional size buckle.
    just sayin'

I would follow the curve of the case and taper the strap down to 24 or 26mm. You're going to get more choices in buckle styles, and by continuing the contour of the case it will feel very balanced. Fitting to the concave area between the lugs will be tough but not impossible.

You'll want to stick with the black leather, its going to be by far the best material and color combo to allow for the molded/tooled curve and still look good when finished. The material will have to be vegetable tanned tooling leather (unless the maker decides to leather wrap an insert to form the curved end), and the light blue just wont work well with that.
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm a fan of big straps, nothing bugs me more than my 47mm watches with 22mm lug widths. Makes no sense to me...a big watch with a tiny strap. Just looks wrong. Hence, I usually do as you are suggesting and go with a strap that is notched out at the lugs with a wider width.

I also tend to be a strap swapper, I have two straps for each watch, one for summer and one for winter. I find a black strap on a hot sunny summer day just seems out of place on the wrist, so I always have a fun colour for those days. However, I realize this is quite extreme and always suggest people go with a strap that will accommodate their personal lifestyle.

You'll definitely have a small gap at the case due to the curved portion. I agree with previous posters that tapering to a 24 or 26mm strap would open up a larger choice of buckles. The B&R's have a large taper, they go from 34mm to 24mm.

Here's a reference pic of the B&R as well as one of my watches with a baby blue strap in the summer and my Bali with a black on blue stitching

Name:  Bell_Ross_Minuteur_Tourbillon_Limited_Editon_Watch_Elegance_Black_Titanium_Rubber_Strap_Full_Bod.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  11.2 KB

Last edited by blueradish; February 6th, 2012 at 20:48.

Quote Originally Posted by blueradish View Post

Poah! That is badass: why is the crystal so high on that one? The roller buckle is a nice touch - I bet it makes it easier to wrangle that baby blue beast.

Hi there, thanks for your comment. After a good night of sleep I think I am leaning more towards the blue, I want something funky and colorful. Too many black straps around. I think a smooth transition from 30mm to 24mm could be an option as well.
    I stroke it to the east, And I stroke it to the west, And I stroke it to the woman that I love the best
    I be strokin

Interesting points there, but I'm not sure to get the following, why would black leather vs blue be a better material to work with? I mean isnt more related to the type of leather than it's color? I don't know about the vegetable tanned tooling leather but if we go the leather wrapping route, I guess we would need an exact insert replica of the original bracelet link?

What would be the best material to be used to make a solid insert that would fit closely the case curve? I might get a second bracelet, so I was thinking about using the actual SS link from the bracelet and stick them inside the leather strap to get a perfect fit..but I think that wrapping the existing SS insert might actually misaligned the lugs holes and springbars because of the leather thickness where it would meet the concave case? In other words, it would push the insert away from the case....

It's complex... I know but having a really snug to the case leather strap is my objective, something in the like of the CDII with the oem rubber strap or this watch pictured here.

Quote Originally Posted by amacman View Post
    I would follow the curve of the case and taper the strap down to 24 or 26mm. You're going to get more choices in buckle styles, and by continuing the contour of the case it will feel very balanced. Fitting to the concave area between the lugs will be tough but not impossible.

You'll want to stick with the black leather, its going to be by far the best material and color combo to allow for the molded/tooled curve and still look good when finished. The material will have to be vegetable tanned tooling leather (unless the maker decides to leather wrap an insert to form the curved end), and the light blue just wont work well with that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I be strokin

Thanks for the inputs Jason,

I am also a big strap swapper, thats why I am going for the baby blue after reflections, yours look very good! If I need something more low profile I will just put back on the bracelet incognito. The most important aspect , is having a really tight fit between the case and the strap. We need to work something. I observed that there is alway a little notch either on the ss link or the rubber ones to help sit the link close to the case....maybe we could do something like that by molding the leather end using a strong glue or something else ? Do you guys know any watch that comes factory with a leather strap similar to the one I want? in terms of design, we could start from there.

Quote Originally Posted by blueradish View Post
    I'm a fan of big straps, nothing bugs me more than my 47mm watches with 22mm lug widths. Makes no sense to me...a big watch with a tiny strap. Just looks wrong. Hence, I usually do as you are suggesting and go with a strap that is notched out at the lugs with a wider width.

I also tend to be a strap swapper, I have two straps for each watch, one for summer and one for winter. I find a black strap on a hot sunny summer day just seems out of place on the wrist, so I always have a fun colour for those days. However, I realize this is quite extreme and always suggest people go with a strap that will accommodate their personal lifestyle.

You'll definitely have a small gap at the case due to the curved portion. I agree with previous posters that tapering to a 24 or 26mm strap would open up a larger choice of buckles. The B&R's have a large taper, they go from 34mm to 24mm.

Here's a reference pic of the B&R as well as one of my watches with a baby blue strap in the summer and my Bali with a black on blue stitching

Name:  Bell_Ross_Minuteur_Tourbillon_Limited_Editon_Watch_Elegance_Black_Titanium_Rubber_Strap_Full_Bod.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  11.2 KB

I be strokin

Quote Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
    Interesting points there, but I'm not sure to get the following, why would black leather vs blue be a better material to work with? I mean isnt more related to the type of leather than it's color? I don't know about the vegetable tanned tooling leather but if we go the leather wrapping route, I guess we would need an exact insert replica of the original bracelet link?

What would be the best material to be used to make a solid insert that would fit closely the case curve? I might get a second bracelet, so I was thinking about using the actual SS link from the bracelet and stick them inside the leather strap to get a perfect fit..but I think that wrapping the existing SS insert might actually misaligned the lugs holes and springbars because of the leather thickness where it would meet the concave case? In other words, it would push the insert away from the case....

It's complex... I know but having a really snug to the case leather strap is my objective, something in the like of the CDII with the oem rubber strap or this watch pictured here.
    Why black leather? Only vegetable tanned tooling leather will take and hold a curve. You would need to dye the tooling leather yourself. Dying it black would be easy to make look good. Light blue would very difficult to make look good.

What to make an insert out of? A hard nylon would be best. Think inline skate wheel, or other hard dense plastic. You'll have to carve it undersized to allow for the leather wrapping.

Hope this helps
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by amacman View Post
    Why black leather? Only vegetable tanned tooling leather will take and hold a curve. You would need to dye the tooling leather yourself. Dying it black would be easy to make look good. Light blue would very difficult to make look good.

What to make an insert out of? A hard nylon would be best. Think inline skate wheel, or other hard dense plastic. You'll have to carve it undersized to allow for the leather wrapping.

Hope this helps

It helps a lot! Great infos you provided...I appreciate a lot. The project is more challenging than I first thought it was...Thank you. I now need to find a strap maker confident in doing this kind of work with a reasonable price...I'll ask around.

Best,
    Jon
    I be strokin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information