WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handcrafted Straps

19K views 115 replies 19 participants last post by  StufflerMike 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I made some buckles for my straps. Finished to very high tolerances with hand tools only.

Thanks for looking :)

See less See more
#14 ·
Re: Handcrafted by straps68

Nice straps, I cannot see any flaws in the stitching. I most liked that #3 vintage yellow, but it is very hard to overlook that #1 yellow strap. All these straps should be worn and appreciated by someone.
I am not saying I am interested as I have no 24mm watches and too many straps. But great construction.

#15 ·

Nice straps, I cannot see any flaws in the stitching. I most liked that #3 vintage yellow, but it is very hard to overlook that #1 yellow strap. All these straps should be worn and appreciated by someone.
I am not saying I am interested as I have no 24mm watches and too many straps. But great construction.
Thanks for your kind words. I am really glad that you can't see any flaws in the stitching :)

#16 · (Edited)

I think the sewn ins are the most secure way to make a strap, never have to worry about pins breaking or screws coming loose, probably my favourite type of buckle, unfortunately most people like to change them out, for me though nothing beats a killer strap with a secure sewn in buckle, it just works best without any possible hiccups.

These buckles do look great, good job.

#17 ·

I think the sewn ins are the most secure way to make a strap, never have to worry about pins breaking or screws coming loose, probably my favourite type of buckle, unfortunately most people like to change them out, for me though nothing beats a killer strap with a secure sewn in buckle, it just works best without any possible hiccups.

These buckles do look great, good job.
Thanks again SHANE :). The solution to changing out a sewn-in buckle is pretty simple: change the strap ;) - after all, you can't have too many straps :)

#18 ·

Very nice! Both the straps and buckles. Amazing job with the fit and finish.

It's the small details that set real crafters apart.

Were the buckles punched out and then finished?

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

#19 ·

Very nice! Both the straps and buckles. Amazing job with the fit and finish.

It's the small details that set real crafters apart.

Were the buckles punched out and then finished?
-snip-
Thank you :)

The buckles are cut with a CO2 laser (less than 10 seconds) then shaped and finished with precision hand files and sand paper only (about 4 hours).

#20 ·

I bet the laser cutter comes in handy!

I was toying around with the idea of buying one but unfortunately I couldn't justify the $5000 investment.

I have some toys like a 3D printer, MIG/TIG, Plasma/Torch cutters, Vertical mill but I really want a CNC setup.

Don't you love having toys!

#21 ·

I bet the laser cutter comes in handy!

I was toying around with the idea of buying one but unfortunately I couldn't justify the $5000 investment.

I have some toys like a 3D printer, MIG/TIG, Plasma/Torch cutters, Vertical mill but I really want a CNC setup.

Don't you love having toys!
-snip-
I do love having toys :) However, the laser I am talking about is not mine, it is bigger than my car and cost hundreds of thousands of $.

#24 ·

Not all straps I make are yellow :) although it seems to be my favorite color. I call this one vintage latte brown. The color of the thread in real life matches the leather better than I can capture in pictures for some reason.

Strap Watch accessory Buckle Leather Fashion accessory

Strap Watch accessory Leather Buckle Fashion accessory

Watch accessory Strap Buckle Fashion accessory Beige

#26 ·

All the hard work finishing the buckles really paid off. The way the light evenly reflects the light is beautiful and the soft rounded edges are just enough but not too much. Nice!

#31 ·

For a moment there I thought you meant the leather was edgy LOL :) but then I realized you meant the buckles. The buckles are rounded (some more than others) and when worn one would rarely notice the buckle "digging in".

#33 ·

You have to be kidding me. Look at the seam on the keeper. Almost non-existent. I like that stitching a lot too!

Nice stuff!

#35 ·

This strap is "dyed" with coffee. Doesn't smell like coffee though... it is quite soft as coffee does not stiffen the leather same way as alcohol based dyes do.
Cool tidbit of information. Does that apply to water based dyes in general?

Learn something new every day...check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.