WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Handy tool...

657 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MontRoyal 
#1 ·
I have small wrists, and a couple nice straps that are just a wee too large. Don't want to ditch them. OK, need something to punch another hole.

Got this from Esslinger just now:

5 holes from 0.8 to 2mm. $25.
6.25 inch leather punch pliers

Used it on an ostritch strap. Worked just fine! Have to eyeball, and the new hole is just a bit too close to the one before, but not so anyone can notice. Clean hole, too.

So if you have problems getting straps to fit sometimes, this is handy.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not sure there's a shoe repair place within 50 miles of me.

There is a watch guy, and I could've taken it to him, but a) I'll probably have to do this intermittently...in fact, could do it on 2 other straps beyond the 2 I purchased it for, and b) I just prefer to do it when the mood strikes. Spring bar tools, bracelet pin pushers, caseback tools...I'm a lousy DIY guy but I can mostly manage these. :)

#7 ·
Does it leave a clean hole? It's interesting that the tip for punching a hole isn't hollowed out. I find that when I try to use a tip like a nail. The problem is the hole is "punched" but the margins of hole aren't clean.
When I punched it, it looked clean, but it doesn't cut all the material out, no. Once you buckle it, the material pushes back. So yeah, looking at it 'at rest', it's not all that clean. But in use, it's not noticeable.

#10 ·
There are numerous tools for it. Both Esslinger and Otto Frei have several. I liked this one because the of the multiple size capability. Many pliers-type punches look to come with the hollow, cutting tip, rather than the nail-like punching type, but those are always just one size. So ya can getz whatcha likez... :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.