Hirsch Grand Duke vs Hirsch Performance?

Poll: Which would you choose?

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hirsch Grand Duke vs Hirsch Performance?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hirsch Grand Duke vs Hirsch Performance?

Hi guys, so I'm looking up water-resistant leather straps which will stand up to sweaty wrists and I've come down to these two straps. The exterior surfaces are largely similar, croc-embossed calfskin. There is a minor difference in the shape of the long end, no biggie.

1. Hirsch Performance (Paul/George), 300m water resistant, $85
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2883
Size:  53.2 KB

2. Hirsch Grand Duke, 100m water resistant, $60
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2876
Size:  40.9 KB

The main difference is the inner lining. The Performance is lined with caoutchouc (rubber), which has a ventilation network. I am drawn by this ventilation network, and I imagine sweat would evaporate nicely because of it and moisture cannot permeate rubber. However, it introduces nooks and crannies for gunk to build up that cannot be easily removed with a simple wipe over.

The Grand Duke is lined by an inner layer of leather, which is easier to clean and more aesthetically pleasing, but I have read on these forums that some have had their leather ruined by sweat from outdoor adventuring, despite the 100m water resistant rating.

The Grand Duke is more affordable at $60, whereas the Performance goes for $85. Which would you choose and why? There's a poll if you'd be so kind to :)
    Last edited by Lanceteer; December 27th, 2014 at 21:47. Reason: Pictures

Re: Hirsch Grand Duke vs Hirsch Performance?

Is the performance a new model? I just picked up a hirsch mariner. Also supposed to be h2o resistant. May want to look at it. I can't vouch for its durability but it's a very high quality piece.

The Performance is relatively new. Just came out this year I believe. The mariner is a beautiful strap as well and I considered it. Thank you for suggesting it. It's just that I felt my watch suits the croc design better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bump. Help :D

Sponsor

The Hirsch Performance range was launched at Basel this year and has been a very popular choice since then due to what it offers, combining the rubber lining with a choice of upper designs, albeit a little more expensive it does come with a greater water resistance and a 30 month Warranty.

That said the Grand Duke still sells in volume and is also a very popular strap and each have their own appeal over the other.

Regarding cleaning the Performance strap, an old toothbrush and soap water would do the trick from time to time.
    " Started as a hobby.....but is now clearly a WatchObsession and the day job !!"

http://www.WatchObsession.co.uk

Official Stockist of straps from many brands including

HIRSCH, DI-MODELL, RIOS1931, JPM, CRAFTER BLUE, ZEALANDE, ERIKA's ORIGINALS, ISOFRANE and more

Quote Originally Posted by Lanceteer View Post
    Hi guys, so I'm looking up water-resistant leather straps which will stand up to sweaty wrists and I've come down to these two straps. The exterior surfaces are largely similar, croc-embossed calfskin. There is a minor difference in the shape of the long end, no biggie.

1. Hirsch Performance (Paul/George), 300m water resistant, $85
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2883
Size:  53.2 KB

2. Hirsch Grand Duke, 100m water resistant, $60
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2876
Size:  40.9 KB

The main difference is the inner lining. The Performance is lined with caoutchouc (rubber), which has a ventilation network. I am drawn by this ventilation network, and I imagine sweat would evaporate nicely because of it and moisture cannot permeate rubber. However, it introduces nooks and crannies for gunk to build up that cannot be easily removed with a simple wipe over.

The Grand Duke is lined by an inner layer of leather, which is easier to clean and more aesthetically pleasing, but I have read on these forums that some have had their leather ruined by sweat from outdoor adventuring, despite the 100m water resistant rating.

The Grand Duke is more affordable at $60, whereas the Performance goes for $85. Which would you choose and why? There's a poll if you'd be so kind to :)
    Hi,

I dont have both to compare, but I can tell you the Hirsch Duke alligator ($40) which I bought is def worth the money. The other model you may consider is the Hirsch Carbon. They are both comfortable to wear, but have not tested them in water resistance yet.

The Performance Straps are rubber lined which means it would be easy to take a soft brush to it and clean it up real quick. I know not as easy as a quick wipe but the grooves are pretty big so shouldn't be too hard to clean out. The Performance straps also have a 2.5 year warranty which is really nice. You might pay a bit more but it should last a lot longer for you. Both are really nice bands.
    Amy

Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Noia View Post
    The Performance Straps are rubber lined which means it would be easy to take a soft brush to it and clean it up real quick. I know not as easy as a quick wipe but the grooves are pretty big so shouldn't be too hard to clean out. The Performance straps also have a 2.5 year warranty which is really nice. You might pay a bit more but it should last a lot longer for you. Both are really nice bands.
    Amy
    Amy, you took the words straight out of my mind, albeit 15 hours after I posted it !!! LOL !!!
    " Started as a hobby.....but is now clearly a WatchObsession and the day job !!"

http://www.WatchObsession.co.uk

Official Stockist of straps from many brands including

HIRSCH, DI-MODELL, RIOS1931, JPM, CRAFTER BLUE, ZEALANDE, ERIKA's ORIGINALS, ISOFRANE and more

EHV

A "strapbot" ???

We know that you are the best WatchObsession but this just takes it to the max. !

Quote Originally Posted by WatchObsession View Post
    Amy, you took the words straight out of my mind, albeit 15 hours after I posted it !!! LOL !!!
    WatchObsession likes this.

Welcome to the forum Amy, I appreciate that you gave your first post to persuade me in favour of the Hirsch Performance range! :D
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 1.10.16 am.png
Views: 2548
Size:  35.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EHV View Post
    A "strapbot" ???

We know that you are the best WatchObsession but this just takes it to the max. !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information