Hirsch leather strap started peeling after two months of use
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hirsch leather strap started peeling after two months of use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hirsch leather strap started peeling after two months of use

I'm new to watches and I like leather straps, I think they look great so I bought hirsch leather strap for about 23€. After two months the outer material (leather?) started to peel and I can see the inner material that looks black. I'm not sure if the leather is real or faux, but it's quite cheap I guess for 23€. The peeling happend on the very edge of strap and on the loops that hold the other part of strap in place.
    I won't throw away the strap and will continue to use it as it doesn't look too bad for now, but I wonder what kind of strap should I buy next time so it won't peel or crack after 2 months. The seiko quartz watch that I bought cost about 160€ so I don't think it's reasonable to spend more on a strap than on the watch itself. I also have a stainless steal bracelet and I might consider wearing it now in summer.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Hirsch leather strap started peeling after two months of use

What did Hirsch CS say ?
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Hirsch CS? I don't think I know what CS stands for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MiHD View Post
    Hirsch CS? I don't think I know what CS stands for.
    CS=Customer service/support

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NocturnalWatch; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:13.

I've had several Hirsch straps and never had such problems with them. Which model do you have? It's usually stamped on the back side of their straps. Hirsch is known to be a quality brand so maybe you just had bad luck. But in any case you should contact them or the seller. Generally speaking when buying leather straps try to avoid those stamped with "genuine leather" as it's usually an indication of the lowest quality real leather. As for strap recommendations I've found that Rios1931 straps have a good price-quality ratio. They can be found starting around $20 for example on eBay.
    SpaceCadet65 likes this.

Could just be a QC issue. Have you gotten it wet at all? That would do it.

I've gotten it wet maybe twice but not much only from sweat on the inside and peeling started on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasropakis View Post
    I've had several Hirsch straps and never had such problems with them. Which model do you have? It's usually stamped on the back side of their straps. Hirsch is known to be a quality brand so maybe you just had bad luck. But in any case you should contact them or the seller. Generally speaking when buying leather straps try to avoid those stamped with "genuine leather" as it's usually an indication of the lowest quality real leather. As for strap recommendations I've found that Rios1931 straps have a good price-quality ratio. They can be found starting around $20 for example on eBay.
    I'm pretty sure this is the strap that I have: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hirsch-Ka...-/273033581304

I haven't got any experience of Hirsch Kansas but I've had Hirsch Forest strap which looks almost similar and it lasted for several years so it shouldn't peel after two months. I'm not sure if these cheaper Hirsch straps are just genuine leather of full grain leather. Basically genuine leather is the lowest quality leather but even that should last more than a couple of months. Here's an article about the different types of leather: https://bestleather.org/types-of-leather/genuine/ One explanation could be that your strap is old stock and has dried during the years which has affected the durability.

For that little of use, you should get it replaced if possible. Overall, they are very stout straps, so it must be a bad QC one.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information