Hirsch Liberty, 2 1/2 years old...

Thread: Hirsch Liberty, 2 1/2 years old...

Hirsch Liberty, 2 1/2 years old...

I've worn it practically every day but wondered if I should have expected the two strap retainer rings (leather) to have disintegrated already?
    The small flap that holds the one closest to the buckle also came unstuck and I've tried repairing them both, but to no avail.

I'm pretty careful about getting it wet and on holiday, I always wear a nato strap instead, especially if I have suncream on or go in the pool.

Does that kind of wear and tear sound about right, because if so, I'll probably buy another one the same?

Thanks

Re: Hirsch Liberty, 2 1/2 years old...

Tough to say, lots of different factors that can change the timeline of a strap's wear and tear. I see you are not in a tropical environment, which is good: humidity is a harmful beast on leather straps. Sweat doesn't help either, with salt being corrosive. If you're a sweater, it is likely a contributing factor. You can apply food grade silicone spray (available at a scuba supply store, or online: not expensive) as a moisture blocker to the liner of a strap, or even a thin application of gum trag.

What are you using to repair unhinged glue? A good rubber cement would be best: flexible and water resistant, but has to be applied to a dry surface, so don't wear the strap for a few days to let it completely air out.
    Influence is like the wind...

I would think it could be corrected fairly easily as suggested by CADstraps.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. I picked up some Super-Glue Flex, which apparently has a rubber component to aid flexibility.
    Didn't last a day as I think the leather is just too weak now.

I saw this one, which is cheaper than a Hirsch, but otherwise I'll probably just buy the same again and maybe look for the spray as you suggest (Strangely enough there is a scuba store near me)
    Last edited by davehutch; March 4th, 2014 at 13:09.

I guess there's always this one?

Quote Originally Posted by davehutch View Post

I saw this one, which is cheaper than a Hirsch, but otherwise I'll probably just buy the same again and maybe look for the spray as you suggest (Strangely enough there is a scuba store near me)
    I have purchased 2 Sectime "Marina" straps in the past. Excellent straps and service. Would definately buy from them again.

Thanks. The only thing still drawing me towards the Hirsch is the fact that it's a 20/18mm and I could put my Damasko buckle on it.

Thread Information