How long does it take for your NATO to dry?

Thread: How long does it take for your NATO to dry?

How long does it take for your NATO to dry?

A new watch I bought came with a NATO strap: I took both of them into the shower the other day and was surprised to see that the strap took a couple of hours to dry out. I would have thought that a nylon strap wouldn't even get soaked, and it sure seems to be made of nylon.
    Is this normal or is it a quality issue with the no-name strap that happened to come with this watch?

Thanks,
    Canadian Jim

Re: How long does it take for your NATO to dry?

My observation is the same, Jim. Mine were not especially cheap straps, both from TimeFactors IIRC.

The fibres in the nylon used in most NATO straps I've seen are extremely fine. That means they have a relatively huge surface area and consequently absorb a surprising amount of water for their size. That requires a correspondingly high amount of energy to evaporate all the water. Given that the heat energy the strap receives while on your wrist is approximately constant, then the other factor in the equation is time, so it takes longer to dry.
    Steve

When you just towel them off (press them between two layers of towel) they will not need much time afterwards to dry completely. I always do that after washing them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I shower with mine on as I'm rough with my watches. I've never timed them but when morning comes the strap is dry.
    Tom
    Marathon, Omega, Rolex, Ruhla, Seiko

Thread Information