How to make a Strap??

Thread: How to make a Strap??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to make a Strap??

could anyone tell me how to make a leather strap? what tools are required, glues..etc

any links I should check out? I really want to give it a shot.

Thanks

Re: How to make a Strap??

there is a post in the seiko forums in the top stickies , which has links to do it yourself strap making

i don't have the link here but search timezone for strapmaking 101, aslo britishblades forums has a saddlestich tutorial and finally leatherworker.net has pretty much all the info a person needs regarding glues/finishes/ how to burnish edges etc..

i answered bobby ina pm but figured i would post here for others

cory
    hamilton khaki Field Auto Chrono-black
    Marathon GSAR
    Tag Kirium Quartz
    Seiko PMMM Mod
    PAM Hommage

I taught myself by looking at a strap I had and realizing, "Man, I can do this".

Practice, practice, practice.
    -Matt

A man with one watch knows what time it is..
    A man with two watches is never quite sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

maybe it is a good idea to post here diy tutorials we know and stick it?

I looked for the seikp sticke and couldn't find it... but maybe I am just slow..

Question Re: How to make a Strap??

Sorry I cannot find a post in seiko forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by monticore View Post
    there is a post in the seiko forums in the top stickies , which has links to do it yourself strap making

i don't have the link here but search timezone for strapmaking 101, aslo britishblades forums has a saddlestich tutorial and finally leatherworker.net has pretty much all the info a person needs regarding glues/finishes/ how to burnish edges etc..

i answered bobby ina pm but figured i would post here for others

cory

How to make a Strap??nI'll give it a shot.

Iíll give it a try. Measure the length and width of the band you want, often the strap tapers from the spring bar to the buckle/tongue by 2mm so a 24mm strap will taper to 22mm and a 22mm will taper to 20mm, the smaller of the two will be the length of the heel bar of the buckle. Take the measurements from the existing watch band to start. My wrist is wider than most off the shelf watchbands so I add about an inch and a half, an inch to the tongue and half and inch or so to the buckle side.

Add to these two measurements about ĹĒ for the fold that goes around the spring bar with enough length to be sewn under the lining piece, add one to the tongue piece and two to the buckle piece. With the face and lining you will have cut 4 pieces, the linings will be shorter to fit over the face spring bar fold over and up to it, you want to catch the lining with the stitching, look at a watch band to see what I mean.

The keeper is the loop that holds the tongue of the strap in place, you can use 1 or 2. Cut these about ĹĒ or less in width. I use my eye on this thickness to balance it against the thickness of the strap. You need to skive the part of this that overlaps to avoid adding thickness to the band, If you place this joint between the face and the lining it needs to be thinner and does not need to over lap, though overlapping will add strength to this piece. If you want cut a lining for these and glue on before completing the loop with adhesive.

You will need to mark the stitching line, I use a tool called a stitching groover but you can get by with a compass. The groover is preferable because it actually cuts a slight channel into the leather and helps to hold the stitching chisel in line. Run this line around the circumference of the face of the tongue and the buckle piece.

Glue and fold over the one side of the tongue piece and the two sides of the buckle piece, unless you are using a screw on buckle, you need to slot the smaller end of the buckle piece to accommodate the tongue of the buckle and fold it over the buckle heelbar. I use tubes on the other two ends for the spring bars but itís not necessary.

Glue the lining to the face on all these pieces, flesh side to flesh side, I cut the lining over size then trim to the face after attaching. Use good contact leather glue like Barge, available at leather supply or shoe repair.

You can use an overstitch wheel or a stitching chisel to mark and punch the stitching holes, if you use the overstitch wheel you will need to punch the stitching holes with a awl, keep the awl straight or the back of the band, the lining side, will look pretty nasty. I use two needles with the harness stitch to put it all together. These last two paragraphs can be reversed, often I mark and punch the stitching line before attaching the lining, then re-punch for the lining. If the leather is not uniform like alligator or croc itís easier without the lining attached.

Once you have the band assembled attach it to the watch and determine where on the tongue you want to punch the buckle holes for the best fit. Use the compass to determine the hole spacing.

There are finishing applications that Iíll not go into other than just mention, rolling the edge, burnishing or slicking the edge, staining/dyeing, sealing or final finishing. I know Iím assuming a lot here, Iíve tried to explain as best I can, you may need to acquaint yourself with some of the terms and general leather working as necessary. Feel free to email me for specific information.

it was in the links, articles forums way at the top

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=197237
    Marathon GSAR
    Tag Kirium Quartz
    Seiko PMMM Mod
    PAM Hommage

to add to hushnel's post sometimes people just use 1 folded pieces of leather without a lining. or folded pieces of leather+ lining. the advantage of the folded single piece is strength but it all depends on the weight of leather and final look/thickness your looking for. disadvantage is cost when using expensive croc like in the op its msor cost effective to use goat/pig/ or other type to line the inside and cofort too hornback leather on your wirst can't be comfortable.

but if using a single piece folded over make sure you skive the area that will be at the lugs or it will be too thick.

cory
    Marathon GSAR
    Tag Kirium Quartz
    Seiko PMMM Mod
    PAM Hommage

Can you guys explain what skiving means? I just came back from Tandy Leather and I'm ready to dive into this addicting hobby. I could only fine 3 oz and 4 oz pieces, are these pieces to thin for a fold type band? or do I need to sandwich a piece in between? Cory thanks again for all your help, I'll post my first strap once I'm done.

Thanks,

Glenn

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information