How are strap edges sealed?

Thread: How are strap edges sealed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How are strap edges sealed?

hi, just curious how leather straps edges are finished, both the professional method and the improvised household/diy store method.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How are strap edges sealed?

Moistened the edge then slick it with specific tool made for slicking (nylon or bone folder). With the nylon slicker, it will give the edge a rounded look. If you don't have this tool at home, you can use something flat and reasonably smooth. Sometimes i use my stool that is made from wood, just rub it off quickly. Also wooden pencil can be used for those tricky 90 degree angle (when you fold a keeper and need to burnish the flesh part for easy gliding). It's very rudimentary.

You can buy something called gum tragacanth and edging ink to properly sealed the edge. I personally haven't use gum tragacanth so i wouldn't know how to use it.

Hope that helps.
    Bell & Ross Instrument - with lots of straps
    Hamilton
    Tag Heuer
    Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
    Breitling Avenger Skyland

My leather works blog: http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

Yep, what he said.

The gum tragacanth is made from natural substances & is apparently 100% bio-degradeable. To apply use a smooth plastic object or even your finger. You need to place a few coates on though....

Quote Originally Posted by 99Reza View Post
    Moistened the edge then slick it with specific tool made for slicking (nylon or bone folder). With the nylon slicker, it will give the edge a rounded look. If you don't have this tool at home, you can use something flat and reasonably smooth. Sometimes i use my stool that is made from wood, just rub it off quickly. Also wooden pencil can be used for those tricky 90 degree angle (when you fold a keeper and need to burnish the flesh part for easy gliding). It's very rudimentary.

You can buy something called gum tragacanth and edging ink to properly sealed the edge. I personally haven't use gum tragacanth so i wouldn't know how to use it.

Hope that helps.
    James.

Longines -- Panerai -- Steinhart

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Many thanks for the info, now to hunt down some gum.

Oh side info for Gum Tragacanth, it's widely used for cake decorating. Which mean if you use it on your strap you can ALMOST eat your strap :p.
    Bell & Ross Instrument - with lots of straps
    Hamilton
    Tag Heuer
    Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
    Breitling Avenger Skyland

My leather works blog: http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

leatherworker.net has tons of info on edge burnishing.

spit/water/gum/wax +old jean/t-shirt/plastic bone slickers/cocobolo stick/deer antlers= burnishing.

if your edges are not square i sanded them quare with like 80 grit sanding block then wet edge and use 400 grit but sanding in 1 direction. apply gum, let dry use my slicker/cocobolo stick rub back and forth to get fibres hot once smoth stop because you can over burnish them and they become rough again.

depedning on the look you can apply and edge coat/paint, i have heard of using acrylic pain as well but i stick to edge coat i havent tested the acrylic paints yet.
    hamilton khaki Field Auto Chrono-black
    Marathon GSAR
    Tag Kirium Quartz
    Seiko PMMM Mod
    PAM Hommage

Many thanks for the stirling advice, tested an edge with bees wax and old denim with excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytaylor View Post
    Many thanks for the stirling advice, tested an edge with bees wax and old denim with excellent results.
    What I need to know is, what is the name of the laquer product that completely coats and covers the bonded seam.!?

Quote Originally Posted by sticks22 View Post
    What I need to know is, what is the name of the laquer product that completely coats and covers the bonded seam.!?
    Ironically, it's called "Edge-Kote":

Go easy on the burnishing if you are going to use an edge dressing. Good leather can be burnished easily to a mirror finish, but then you'll have a tough go with the edge dressing: it works better when it has a little something to grab onto. You also don't want to use an edge coat on a completely rough cut edge, as all that lumpy texture will show through and look like garbage. You'll need a good balance, so try a little experimenting first.

With edge dressings, put it on twice lightly before you put it on once really heavily. For a perfect dressed edge, I will burnish to a medium-smooth edge, dress once lightly, and then once dry I will very lightly even it out with some 600+ grit sandpaper. Then dress the edge again lightly, and once dry just smooth it out with a cloth. Looks much better even and with a satin finish, than globby and really glossy.
    Influence is like the wind...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information