How to taper???

Thread: How to taper???

How to taper???

I've gotten pretty good at making watch straps. Just one problem: I'm not sure the best way to taper. Does anyone have any advice for me? What's the best way to do it?

Thanks,

Daniel

Re: How to taper???

I'm sure if you asked one of the strap makers that are well known they would give you the information you seek. It's good to ask the professionals. What quality maker wouldn't help out a fellow strap maker.....

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheWatchMan97 View Post
    I've gotten pretty good at making watch straps. Just one problem: I'm not sure the best way to taper. Does anyone have any advice for me? What's the best way to do it?

Thanks,

Daniel
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, Bulova Lunar Pilot with date, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

Re: How to taper???

I wonder if the answer is...there is no one answer.

That's not tapered. But it's a good point of reference.

You can play around with how much taper. Where does the taper start, say as a percentage of overall length of the piece? What kind of tip shape for the 6 side...including, how sharp is the tip on the ogival as shown here, or on a dart shape like
    _____
    \
    _____/

which isn't a common one. Or go square tip. Fournet offers a semi-square tip...a 20/18 semi-square would be 20 at the lugs down to 18 at the second hole, the way they do it, THEN tapering again down to 16 or 14 at the square-cut tip.

Customized Leather Watch Bracelet | Camille Fournet

I'm thinking a little drawing package would help visualize things, and you can get proportions that appeal to you. And, I wouldn't be surprised that you might want to vary, say, the taper start point based on the relation of lug width to buckle width, and *probably* to tip style.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Thread Information