I want a low maintenance nato band
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZIPPER79

Thread: I want a low maintenance nato band

I want a low maintenance nato band

Here is the thing with Nato bands.
    I love the feel and the look of them, but they end up smelling if I don't wash them weekly.

I have a Pebble Time, which I have used metal bands, stock Pebble rubber band, and some Nato bands. I have never had to wash the rubber band ever; and it would stay clean no matter how much I sweat. But it looked ugly, and wasn't as comfortable as the nato bands. The metal bands required some cleaning regularly, but not to the extent of the nato bands I have right now.

So my question is are there any nato bands that do not smell after a bit of sweat?

It is ridiculous that NATO bands were originally meant for military use, but cannot take a bit of sweat without being smelly.

Re: I want a low maintenance nato band

Check out the Bonetto Cinturini rubber Nato strap - model 328. Wear one on my Vostok Amphibia and love it. Italian rubber with faint smell of vanilla. Rubber doesn't get anymore low maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup time View Post
    Check out the Bonetto Cinturini rubber Nato strap - model 328. Wear one on my Vostok Amphibia and love it. Italian rubber with faint smell of vanilla. Rubber doesn't get anymore low maintenance.
    ^This.
    dP

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^^^^

This, this...

The BC strap is awesome.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Have you ever been in the Military service in the USA? I suspect not. When you're in the field for a week or two you worry about smelling from sweat.....never. Buy 12 straps, they're cheap enough and when you're tired of low maintenance washing just toss them and install a new one.....
    You really have a dilemma.....

Quote Originally Posted by skstrials View Post
    Here is the thing with Nato bands.
    I love the feel and the look of them, but they end up smelling if I don't wash them weekly.

I have a Pebble Time, which I have used metal bands, stock Pebble rubber band, and some Nato bands. I have never had to wash the rubber band ever; and it would stay clean no matter how much I sweat. But it looked ugly, and wasn't as comfortable as the nato bands. The metal bands required some cleaning regularly, but not to the extent of the nato bands I have right now.

So my question is are there any nato bands that do not smell after a bit of sweat?

It is ridiculous that NATO bands were originally meant for military use, but cannot take a bit of sweat without being smelly.
    Sofreto likes this.
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, Bulova Lunar Pilot with date, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

As Zipper stated...Buy a dozen and go here to buy them I have received four of these and like them very much. Will order some more. Great price and Free shipping.

Overun Sale 22mm Premium PVD Nylon NATO Watch Band Strap | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by skstrials View Post

It's not the strap's fault, it's our body making the stink. All the strap is doing is absorbing it. Rubber and metal don't absorb the biological byproducts that cause the stink. Anything made of fabric is gonna absorb. So your answer, as suggested above, would be a NATO band made of a non-absorbent material.

Sweat itself is odorless by nature. Bacteria which covers the surface of the skin break down sweat, and the byproduct of this interaction are acid compounds that produce distinctive odors.

https://www.quora.com/Is-sweat-suppo...dor-less-sweat
    I don't think it's ridiculous, just because it was used in the military doesn't mean it was specified to not smell. There are a lot of strong odors in the military, lol. You don't get vanilla scented boots. You're supposed to treat it like any other fabric that you wear next to your skin. Wear it long enough, wash it.

If you like the feeling of fabric, then it's part of the game.

If you're really lazy, you could try something like deodorant or antiperspirant on your wrist, lol.

-----------------------------------

Oh yeah, I just remembered. There are now fabrics that claim to be odorless/antibacterial, by using silver. Maybe someone will get around to making straps with those.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=87983
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...re/description
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...to/description
    Last edited by artblakey; May 26th, 2016 at 05:57.

Thread Information