IWC Portuguese replacement strap cost

Thread: IWC Portuguese replacement strap cost

IWC Portuguese replacement strap cost

Last year I had to buy a new bracelet for my 26 year old Submariner. We had been through a lot together and I admit wearing while doing heavy work. The cost was £800GBP but is is metal and clearly involves some manufacturing.

I am looking to replace the black leather 22mm strap on my IWC Portuguese. We all know that some mechanical watches are very expensive because of their complication, intricacy and everything else like sponsorship etc etc. I am struggling to see how IWC can charge £200+GBP for a piece of leather. I am not mean, I just cannot see how this can be justified.

Do any of you experts know of alternative comparable quality straps available in UK? and can please tell me if I am seeing this wrong or explain to me why the price is not unnecessarily high.

Thanks and regards

PS: As a thought, I can buy a petrol powered lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine for the same price as this small piece of leather from IWC!

Re: IWC Portuguese replacement strap cost

Hi All,

I found a great strap for my IWC from WatchGecko in the UK. It is designed for the job and allows me retain the original IWC deployment clasp. It looks great and I am well happy, for what is comparatively very little money.

These prices fuel the furor that high-end watches are hideously overpriced...even conceding that some of the cost is likely to be purely the added taxes in the UK.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pictures of the new strap?
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Bit of a hybrid this, pilot strap on a Portuguese. It fits fine and allows the original IWC strap to be preserved for use when selling.
    Name:  IMG_0059.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  77.9 KBName:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  126.0 KBName:  IMG_0066.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  106.7 KB

It's really a matter of names.....In 1968 I purchased a VW bug with the optional Blaupunkt radio with a rear speaker. A friend of mine had purchased a Porsche 912 with the same radio and found out that his was almost double what mine cost, VW verses Porsche was the only difference.
    If you can live without a IWC branded strap there are many other like straps that look like them. It just takes looking through watch strap sellers or some custom strap makers...

Quote Originally Posted by Clockit View Post
    Last year I had to buy a new bracelet for my 26 year old Submariner. We had been through a lot together and I admit wearing while doing heavy work. The cost was £800GBP but is is metal and clearly involves some manufacturing.

I am looking to replace the black leather 22mm strap on my IWC Portuguese. We all know that some mechanical watches are very expensive because of their complication, intricacy and everything else like sponsorship etc etc. I am struggling to see how IWC can charge £200+GBP for a piece of leather. I am not mean, I just cannot see how this can be justified.

Do any of you experts know of alternative comparable quality straps available in UK? and can please tell me if I am seeing this wrong or explain to me why the price is not unnecessarily high.

Thanks and regards

PS: As a thought, I can buy a petrol powered lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine for the same price as this small piece of leather from IWC!
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, Bulova Lunar Pilot with date, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

Thread Information