Leather dployant clasp? Tip in, or out?

Poll: How do you wear your leather deploant strap?

Thread: Leather dployant clasp? Tip in, or out?

sod

Question Leather dployant clasp? Tip in, or out?

Are deploant clasp deigned to be worn a certain way? I recently purchased a Seiko dress watch with a leather deployant clasp. The watch band tip points in towards me on my left hand as I type. This is new from the factory, is this how you wear your deployant strap? Is this just another personal preference question?
    Thanks, Mike

sod

Re: Leather dployant clasp? Tip in, or out?

Can a moderator help me out with option 4 on my poll and add "wrist".
    Thanks, Mike

Confused Re: Leather dployant clasp? Tip in, or out?

OK, i screwed up my vote because of some ambiguity in the question.

i have one strap with a deployment clasp. the tip is on the INside of the strap not the OUTside. so, i voted left/in. but by this definition, i should have voted left/out because the tip points outwards from the body.

Quote Originally Posted by sod View Post
    Are deploant clasp deigned to be worn a certain way? I recently purchased a Seiko dress watch with a leather deployant clasp. The watch band tip points in towards me on my left hand as I type. This is new from the factory, is this how you wear your deployant strap? Is this just another personal preference question?
    Thanks, Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actually I only have one Deployant watch my Oris Classic, and it's an "outie"....that's the way my dealer installed it when I bought it. But that's the way I have all my watches, buckle half of strap, attached at 12 o'clock of the watch.
    Regards Sonny
    Motorcycling is my LIFE..
    2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom FXDC

and that's the correct way to do it. when one pulls the tail through the buckle one's pulling toward oneself. pulling away from oneself is rather awkward!

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyD View Post
    Actually I only have one Deployant watch my Oris Classic, and it's an "outie"....that's the way my dealer installed it when I bought it. But that's the way I have all my watches, buckle half of strap, attached at 12 o'clock of the watch.
    Regards Sonny

I much prefer the OUT as apposed to IN, I like that look by far better than hiding the strap away.

Varies with the clasp! I find some fit better one way or the other. However, I have a small wrist, so don't use clasps that often as they often don't sit right on my wrist.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I always preferred "left wrist, tip in" (catches on fewer things). However, a few months ago I took my JLC to my AD for a "XL" replacement strap (C$340.00!!). When the watchmaker (an actual ex-JLC employee) who took my watch to make the exchange saw it, he muttered something about "...this is all wrong, all wrong!" and put the new strap on so I would wear it "tip out". Who am I to argue with a "professional"?

I still don't get it. John Wilson.

"Man fears time; time fears the Pyramids"

vandice

It actually depends on the design of the strap.

Take a conventional bracelet watch. During resizing, you get to adjust the length of both bracelet segments in order for the clasp to sit properly (usually near the center of the wrist. This adjustment is dependent on the design of the deployant clasp, whether its a single fold or butterfly.

If you notice, leather deployants have a fixed segment like conventional leather straps. It is the length of this segment that determines how you wear the strap, tip in or out because usually one configuration will sit the watch much better than the other. This is because the shape of the wrist is asymmetrical.

That is to say, tip in or out is designed into the deployant by the length of the fixed segment. It's not a preference issue for most.

With aftermarket deployant clasps retrofitted on conventional straps, the strap dimensions will determine whether to get single fold or butterfly.

Thread Information