Leather stains skin?

Thread: Leather stains skin?

Leather stains skin?

Has anyone had a leather watch strap that stains their skin. I got a new dark brown leather strap and I wore it today for about half the day. I didn't sweat and didn't get it wet but it lightly stained my wrist. I want to remedy this problem without changing the look too much. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Leather stains skin?

No need to worry about changing the look, because you only need to deal with the inside of the strap. If you have a Tandy leather nearby pick up some satin acrylic sealer like the eco-flo (I believe it on amazon also) Just apply a couple of very light coats to the inside of the strap, allowing it to dry between coats. I just dampen a rage with the product and rub it on. The coats should be so light that they almost flash dry. 2-3 coats top should take care of it.

Note, there are other similar products, but I suggested this one because its non-toxic, sold everywhere...etc. Several of the Fiebings products would work great also.
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

No need to worry about changing the look, because you only need to deal with the inside of the strap. If you have a Tandy leather nearby pick up some satin acrylic sealer like the eco-flo (I believe it on amazon also) Just apply a couple of very light coats to the inside of the strap, allowing it to dry between coats. I just dampen a rage with the product and rub it on. The coats should be so light that they almost flash dry. 2-3 coats top should take care of it.
    Excellent suggestion. That is what I used on a band I had that was bleeding dye onto my wrist and it worked like a charm!
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How much would it alter the look if I did both sides. I wear a suit everyday so I would hate to stain the cuffs of all my shirts also. I talked to the maker and he said he already tried to seal it with three coats and then rubbed it with a rag and nothing came off. I also rubbed it with a white undershirt for about 30 min and nothing transferred to the shirt I'm assuming it may only be the heat of my skin or a little sweat that's drawing out excess dye. Should I even be concerned that it could stain my shirts?

Here is a picture of the strap.

Here is the other strap I bought with this one I imagine it's the same hide which tells me there is a lot of dye in it. But, then again, I know nothing about leatherwork.

Since I don't know how the top side may be finished already, I'd suggest treating the bottom first as a test and for practice before doing the top side. Applied correctly-again, VERY thin coats, and it shouldn't be an issue.
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

Thread Information