Leather strap preferences? (from a maker)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nokie
  • 1 Post By Msweat000

Thread: Leather strap preferences? (from a maker)

Leather strap preferences? (from a maker)

I am a watchmaker but also help my wife's leatherworking business. Other than cutting down hides for her I do make the kangaroo wallets and my "thing' is hand sewing with the traditional and correct style of saddle stitch. I have had people telling me, asking me to start making straps but some of their is a perplexing variety of styles out there.

If you don't mind would you post pics of your favorite style of a higher end hand sewn strap/band?

Re: Leather strap preferences? (from a maker)

Since no-one's replied, I'll dive in. As you say there are a bewildering amount of styles/types out there, so Google is your friend, I'm afraid.

Generally, I'd say we're a pretty conservative bunch - on the whole, thick leather and/or huge stitching are a no go (of course, there will always be exceptions). Price is a big factor, as is the quality of the leather. If you can find decent hides (buffalo, calf, etc) and do custom lengths/widths with choice of coloured stitching at a reasonable price you're on your way...

Almost everyone does the chunky Panerai type straps. There is definitely a hole in the market for well made and handsome dress watch straps.

On a personal note, for us vintage military watch nuts, I can tell you that there is a huge gap in the market for vintage, unpadded and undyed, pigskin (parallel with rounded end) both one piece pull through and two piece standard. Hint, hint...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry H View Post
    Since no-one's replied, I'll dive in. As you say there are a bewildering amount of styles/types out there, so Google is your friend, I'm afraid.

Generally, I'd say we're a pretty conservative bunch - on the whole, thick leather and/or huge stitching are a no go (of course, there will always be exceptions). Price is a big factor, as is the quality of the leather. If you can find decent hides (buffalo, calf, etc) and do custom lengths/widths with choice of coloured stitching at a reasonable price you're on your way...

Almost everyone does the chunky Panerai type straps. There is definitely a hole in the market for well made and handsome dress watch straps.

On a personal note, for us vintage military watch nuts, I can tell you that there is a huge gap in the market for vintage, unpadded and undyed, pigskin (parallel with rounded end) both one piece pull through and two piece standard. Hint, hint...
    Thank you Barry. I've seen so many straps and that's why I want to jump in. Many of those out there made by hand and by known manufacturers are designed without the concern of early failure. Your input is exactly what I was looking for. I sent you a PM.
    Dean

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The variations are all over the place. Some like a traditional look. Others prefer something a bit more over the top.

If you look at the sticky at the top of this page that lists on line strap vendors, you will see that what is "preferable" is really a matter of personal preference both on the makers and the buyer side, IMHO.
    solar g-shocker likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeanL View Post
    I am a watchmaker but also help my wife's leatherworking business. Other than cutting down hides for her I do make the kangaroo wallets and my "thing' is hand sewing with the traditional and correct style of saddle stitch. I have had people telling me, asking me to start making straps but some of their is a perplexing variety of styles out there.

If you don't mind would you post pics of your favorite style of a higher end hand sewn strap/band?
    I really enjoy my new 1971 strap and love the hand stitching. I have also had a love affair with a Celdy strap. I don’t have great pics of that and I have since sold it on a piece (should have kept it). Here is a pic of the 1971.

I think the strap and thickness of the strap are dependent on what it goes on. For instance, the Celdy that I loved was on a watch with a wide lug to lug and so it worked probably why so many thick ones end up on Panerais.

Best of luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

solar g-shocker likes this.

Thread Information