Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

Thread: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7

    Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    Apologies if this has been posted before. I searched but did not find a relevant thread. And Apologies if this is a dumb line of inquiry, as I'm new to fine watches.

    I'm looking at an Omega Speedmaster (ref 311.32.40.30.01.001 ) but really don't like the brown leather strap it comes with. In researching possible replacement straps, I noticed that Omega watches seem to have unusual lug widths/strap sizes. According to my research, the width of the strap provided with the watch I'm interested in is 22.9mm.

    My questions are:
    1. Would a more standard 23mm strap fit on the watch? and;
    2. I've not seen such unusual measurements on other brands. Do they reflect an effort by Omega to force watch owners into buying OEM replacement straps and bands?


    *
    *

    Reveal the price Hide the price

    I appreciate any insights and recommendations folks could share.

  2. #2
    Member Fatz028's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA & Wilemstad, Curaçao
    Posts
    2,098

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    Look at Hirsch strap.

  3. #3
    Member Karkarov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Definitely not Sweden
    Posts
    1,038

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGR View Post
    Apologies if this has been posted before. I searched but did not find a relevant thread. And Apologies if this is a dumb line of inquiry, as I'm new to fine watches.

    I'm looking at an Omega Speedmaster (ref 311.32.40.30.01.001 ) but really don't like the brown leather strap it comes with. In researching possible replacement straps, I noticed that Omega watches seem to have unusual lug widths/strap sizes. According to my research, the width of the strap provided with the watch I'm interested in is 22.9mm.

    My questions are:
    1. Would a more standard 23mm strap fit on the watch? and;
    2. I've not seen such unusual measurements on other brands. Do they reflect an effort by Omega to force watch owners into buying OEM replacement straps and bands?


    *
    *

    Reveal the price Hide the price

    I appreciate any insights and recommendations folks could share.
    If the strap width really is 22.9 mm a 23 mm strap will be fine, but 23 mm is sort of an odd number. Just to allay concerns I have fit straps a full mm too big on watches and it worked fine, 1/10th of a mm and no one is going to notice. Good luck finding a 23 mm strap though. I echo Fatz, start with Hirch's site; watch obsession.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,134

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    My moon watch has 20mm lugs.

  6. #5
    Member Nokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    27,950

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    Most SpeedMasters have 20mm lugs, so check to make sure you know the correct size.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

    "The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatz028 View Post
    Look at Hirsch strap.
    That's an excellent site. Thanks for the referral.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by Karkarov View Post
    If the strap width really is 22.9 mm a 23 mm strap will be fine, but 23 mm is sort of an odd number. Just to allay concerns I have fit straps a full mm too big on watches and it worked fine, 1/10th of a mm and no one is going to notice. Good luck finding a 23 mm strap though. I echo Fatz, start with Hirch's site; watch obsession.
    I appreciate the tips.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by poisonwazthecure View Post
    My moon watch has 20mm lugs.
    Thank you.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    7

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Most SpeedMasters have 20mm lugs, so check to make sure you know the correct size.
    It seems like I may be mistaken. I will double check. Thanks for your reply.

  11. #10
    Member CastorTroy3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,869

    Re: Leather Straps for Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph

    I think 22.9 is the outside of the lugs. Never heard of a 22.9 SpeedMaster.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 0
      Last Post: August 16th, 2016, 03:10
    2. Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch Speedy Pro Leather Hesalite Excellent $2600
      By bbuckbbuck in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: June 29th, 2016, 18:19
    3. FS: Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch on Black Leather Omega Strap - $3,899 US only
      By EfficientJimBreech in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: May 12th, 2014, 15:14

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •