Liberty vs. Jumbo

Thread: Liberty vs. Jumbo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Liberty vs. Jumbo

The Hirsch Liberty and the DiModell Jumbo. I'm a bit of a strap junky, I've read a fair amount of positive comment about both of these straps on various boards, I rather like the look, so I decided I'd do a (rather unscientific) test for myself to see if I liked them in 'person', and which one I preferred.

These are pretty similar straps, my two are a tan Jumbo and a brown Liberty, the Hirsch cost me about £22.50 and the DiModell £14. Length-wise, the Liberty is 115/85mm and the Jumbo 118/80mm. The Liberty is a constant 4mm thick, the Jumbo is 5mm at the lug end and tapers to about 2mm at the buckle. Both taper from 20mm to 18mm width at the buckle. Both have solid looking and feeling stainless steel buckles and both have one fixed and one floating keeper and contrast stitching. The Liberty's stitching looks heavier and more noticeable, the Jumbo continues the stitch motif onto the keepers. Both are quite stiff to start with, but moulded nicely to the wrist after a short while, and share a sealed edge construction without padding. So far, so similar, frankly.

My (unscientific) test consisted of attaching them to my Breitling SuperOcean and then wearing each for a solid 2 days, day and night. This seemed a decent test for comfort, and the SO is a reasonably heavy watch head for them to deal with. For purposes of the following pics, probably worth noting that my wrist is about 6.75”, and more wide than deep, if that makes sense!

First the Jumbo!

On the Jumbo, I was on the last but one hole. The buckle is quite a long way around the underside of my wrist, as the shot above shows, but not overly so, The taper in the thickness meant that there wasn't a huge bulk of strap under the wrist, which did make it very comfortable, and it did a pretty good job of securing the watch head (I like my straps with a little room under them for the watch to move, but not too much). The thickness at the lug end matched the case well and filled the gap between the lugs nicely. Quality is very good.

Overall, a success for me. Comfy, secure and a good visual match (assuming you like the mix of brown strap and blue dial like I do ).

Now the Liberty.

With the Liberty, I am on the last hole. The buckle is slightly further round my wrist, but not much. Because there's no taper in thickness, there's more bulk of strap under the wrist, but it's not unmanageable at all. The extra thickness also means that some of the length is eaten up going round it where there is overlap between the keepers, hence why the buckle isn't too far round. The extra bulk of strap does a slightly better job of balancing the watch head as well, and the thickness at the lugs is a slightly better match to the case thickness for me. Quality of manufacture is extremely good.

Another success for me . Again,comfy, secure and looks good to my eyes.

Which is best, though?

For me, it's the Liberty. I think it did a better job of securing the watch head, and had a slightly more 'chunky' appearance which I prefer. The constant thickness meant it felt a touch more sturdy to me as well. After 2 days of wear there was a crease in the Jumbo from the buckle, the equivalent crease in the Liberty was much less noticeable. Both are very good, but for me the Liberty just shades it (it won't stop me getting more of both, though ).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Thumbs Up Re: Liberty vs. Jumbo

Great review. Thanks.

I was on the fence on these two and, well, I guess I still am . Nice to have the user insight though. I'll probably just get both as well.

I wonder if the >20mm straps are thicker for both? I've seen the Jumbo listed as 6mmT and the Liberty at 4.5 - 5 mmT.

Cheers

Re: Liberty vs. Jumbo

Thanks for the reviews. I'm thinking about getting one of these for my incoming Blue Samurai.

Do you know if a deployant clasp will fit on the Hirsch Liberty?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have both, the Liberty get's my vote for the better of the two. I do wish the length of the Liberty were more "normal", that is my only complaint though. In reality, both are nice straps and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

My .02, Mike W.
    NAWCC Member

"All my possessions for a moment of time" - Queen Elizabeth I

Currently: Panerai, Omega, Rolex, Ball, Muhle Glashutte, Laco, Ocean7, Doxa, Bathys, and one or two others .

i'll probably want to get a Liberty too.
    anyone knows where to get the cheapest Liberty from?
    Current Status:
    IWC 3717-01
    Breitling Emergency E56121.1
    Stowa Fliegeur (Airman) non-logo COSC
    G-Shock Frogman Brazilian Addict GW-200cf-7jf

As far as I know, the cheapest is http://thewatchprince.com and if you buy $75.00 worth, shipping is free.
    "Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies"

Hi, I use the Di-Modell Jumbo on one of my watches and I've been very impressed with it.

Oh, and it's available for £10 (including delivery) in the UK from here:

http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb...Aviator%27.htm

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanFreak View Post
    i'll probably want to get a Liberty too.
    anyone knows where to get the cheapest Liberty from?
    Try Rich at globalwatchband.com. He's fantastic.
    - Trent (base dial aficionado)

Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    Thanks for the reviews. I'm thinking about getting one of these for my incoming Blue Samurai.

Do you know if a deployant clasp will fit on the Hirsch Liberty?
    I just got a Liberty in the mail yesterday. I immediately added a deployant and put it on an Invicta that I have to check it out. Ordered the strap for an incoming watch, but couldn't wait to try it. It absolutely does accept a deployant.

I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

i have/had both as well

on my 6.5" wrist, i wore the liberty on the last hole and it still felt slightly lose

on the other hand, i wear the jumbo with the 2nd last hole and it fits quite well.

they were on different but simular size watches

i end up keeping the jumbo (sold the watch with the liberty with the strap) and plan on getting another jumbo

i would agree that the liberty *felt* better, i only wished that it fits right. so, jumbo for me by default

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information