Looking for Advice: Strap Tail Length Preference and Keeper Size / Utilization
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for Advice: Strap Tail Length Preference and Keeper Size / Utilization

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello, I would like your opinions on something please. I have been making custom watch straps, and I find most people, when initially requesting a strap, as for a specific size strap i.e., 110/75mm. This is a bit confusing to me, as the hole placement on the strap dictates the size wrist it will fit. Overall dimensions seems to be the popular way to describe a strap, and not wrist size.

I currently make my straps in a way that results in roughly a 12mm longer strap. They have longer tails, as I make them to utilize both keepers when fully expanded (last hole closest to the tip).

On the middle hole, this is the fitment. I think my straps must be longer, due in part to wide keepers, in addition to my holes starting further from the tip. Please excuse the beat up, rough prototype strap that I have been wearing.

Long tails seem to be a preference for some, where as others like a very short tail. Basically, what I am trying to ask is, what do most people prefer? I am trying to make a base strap pattern that is pleasing to the majority, and then tailor it for customers that request otherwise.

I would love some feedback as to how you prefer to wear your strap tails, and also if you prefer wider or thinner keepers.

Thank you very much!

Long tails can interfere with dress shirt cuffs, sometimes catch on things. I appreciate that you want the tip to go through both keepers, but if a customer is using the last hole, I think a longer strap is called for. Should at most use the second to last hole IMHO to allow for a little hot weather swelling.

Some thick straps I also find it hard to bend the point to fit under keepers if the strap is short. [Edit: unless I use a deployant single fold clasp, that is.]

\\ Sent from my mobile device //
    Last edited by Chromejob; February 14th, 2017 at 01:37.

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Re: Looking for Advice: Strap Tail Length Preference and Keeper Size / Utilization

I prefer 120/70 with a hole at exactly 50 two more towards the head and two towards the tail. Generally the 50 will allow me to have very little tail. I then remove the floating keeper.

So the direct answer is no tail short strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Looking for Advice: Strap Tail Length Preference and Keeper Size / Utilization

Thank you very much for that insight. The whole dress cuff issue did not occur to me.

Thank you very much. May I ask your wrist size?

Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroy3 View Post
    I prefer 120/70 with a hole at exactly 50 two more towards the head and two towards the tail. Generally the 50 will allow me to have very little tail. I then remove the floating keeper.

So the direct answer is no tail short strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to straps........ I prefer a shorter tail. If I look at my watch while on my wrist, and the tail is visible, it is too long and I can not wear that strap. Thick keepers as well as thin keepers are both fine depending on the watch style.

Personally any strap I make that the long section from the buckled position is long enough to cover 4 fingers, that for me is perfection, personal preference of course.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Personally I prefer 140/85 - 140/90. I like the holes to start about 55 mm from the lug. My wrist is a hefty eight inches though, little bigger than most peoples. I don't mind a little tail showing, and I do prefer a longer tail for a more secure fit with the keepers.

Also while fitting under the cuff is a concern, being a person that actually owned one of your straps (I bought it to go on a watch I was giving as a gift), I can tell you your straps are thin enough at 1.5-2mm that getting under a cuff should be no issue.

Thank you everyone. After this, it seems it is really up to the individual. I was hoping to get a consensus because I am ordering cutting dies, but the tapered straps may require a short and long tail version. I have created a new prototype that is 125/75 with the holes starting 12mm closer to the tip and with smaller keeps. This seems to be more inline with what we have discussed. The photos are on the middle hole on a 7" wrist.

Karkarov likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information