Making a steel bracelet more comfortable?

Thread: Making a steel bracelet more comfortable?

Making a steel bracelet more comfortable?

When I get a new leather bracelet, I'll usually wiggle it around in my hands a bit before attaching it to the watch to help it feel less stiff. Do you folks have anything to you do a new steel bracelet to make it nice and comfortable?

I've had a few different brands and types of bracelets now, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to invest in a small buffing tool to soften some of the harder edges and maybe keep it from grabbing so much arm hair.

Does anyone wipe things down with oil to keep it from sticking on your arm so much?

Am I the only retentive person wondering about this??? lol

Re: Making a steel bracelet more comfortable?

I would not use too many foreign materials on the bracelet.

I have heard of people using Moleskin on the back of some of the links to help "soften" it up.

But remember, it is metal and they wear very differently than leather or nylon straps, so your options will be limited.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    I would not use too many foreign materials on the bracelet.

I have heard of people using Moleskin on the back of some of the links to help "soften" it up.

But remember, it is metal and they wear very differently than leather or nylon straps, so your options will be limited.
    That's kind of why I'm asking... I don't want to just begin grinding chemicals into my skin :)

Moleskin sounds interesting. I assume you'd use some sort of adhesive on a few links and then carefully trim it with an Xacto knife or fresh razor blade?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you have very hairy wrists, your only option is to use mesh bracelets, or do a bit of depilation

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Banned

Reverse the clasp. I have made so many metal bracelet watches more comfortable for myself and others by doing this I am surprised more don't do it.

A Dremel tool is a cheap investment.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Honestly if it's not an expensive bracelet, I'd just use ultra fine grit sand paper or as was previously mentioned, a dremel, with a fine polishing attachment.

I haven't taken it to a bracelet, but I have a Work Sharp knife sharpener, it's basically a small belt sander and it comes with a handful of belts going from coarse to very fine. It's super useful. I've used it to knock down the edges/corners on pocketknife handles, as well as on the spine off some pocket and kitchen knives. I also used it to put a perfect edge on the end of a resin G Shock strap I shortened. The variety of belt options makes it easy to prevent taking off too much material accidentally - that's a problem with any power tool. I wouldn't take a dremel to anything valuable, it's hard to hold everything stationary and prevent it from 'jumping' and getting into something you dont want it to get into. A belt sander is nice 'cause it's stationary.

As for pulling arm hair - I'm pretty hairy, but I haven't had an issue with good bracelets pulling hair. I do tend to wear my watches kinda snug...not tight, but they're not moving around a lot on my wrist either. I think that helps a lot. Having a tool-less quick adjust clasp helps keep a lot in that regard, 'cause you can adjust it throughout the day as your wrist shrinks and swells, so you always have the perfect fit, never too loose, never too tight.

Trimmed the strap shorter, and clamped a quarter on it to use as a guide to prevent taking off too much material. You can see the poor results of me trying to freehand the curved end too haha.
    Name:  shortening-1.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  556.8 KB

Nice.
    Name:  shortening-2.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  785.8 KB

Perfect fit.
    Name:  shortening-3.jpg
Size:  907.0 KB

Pocketknife - notice the VERY sharp corners along the spine of the blade.
    Name:  RAT2-01.jpg
Size:  554.2 KB

After rounding off the corner. Now the only sharp edge is the cutting edge. I also sharpened the knife - notice the cutting edge has a near mirror polish on it, that's using the extra fine belt that came with the machine.
    Name:  RAT2-02.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  625.9 KB

If it weren't for the total lack of a standard for bracelet end links you could just shop for a more comfortable bracelet. But you could look for a different straight linked bracelet. But you're probably better off going with something different if you don't like the feel of metal.

Thread Information