WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Mesh advice, please

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  paulie485 
#1 ·
I am looking for a mesh bracelet to use in rotation on three or or four watches, one of which is my incoming PO. I found a version at tungchoy for under $63 and a version at ofrei for $369 with the signed Omega clasp. Can anyone tell me whether there is any difference other than the clasp? Is there any reason to spend $300 more at ofrei in terms of quality, or is the price difference all about the branding?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
That Seiko looks great on the mesh! What's the model number on the Seiko, I don't think I have see that one before (which probably means its no longer made - would be just my luck.)

Don't own an Omega so I can't compare. I do own a shark mesh from Tungchoy and love it. Very comfortable, reasonably priced, and quality construction. Highly recommended.
You can custom fit the bracelet by use of a Dremel to remove links. Also, you can choose polished or brushed finish.
dP

#4 ·
+1 for Will Jean. I got one last week from him, love it. Great service. I can see why the Omega signed clasp would be nice. But for $250 more than the Will's, I don't see it. Course, I don't own an Omega either.

#6 · (Edited)
I've owned both, and the Omega mesh is definitely a higher quality mesh... whether it's worth $300 more is for you to decide... but if you're getting a PO you might want to spring for the Omega... I would... (and you can usually find them 2nd hand at a sizeable discount from O.Frei's price)

but for the $ the TungChoy/WillJean mesh is a very good value... the ones with the extra links make sizing a bit easier, although the pins holding the links can be a pain to reassemble...

good luck with your decision and happy hunting!

cheers,
Peter

#7 ·
I've owned both, and the Omega mesh is definitely a higher quality mesh... whether it's worth $300 more is for you to decide... but if you're getting a PO you might want to spring for the Omega... I would... (and you can usually find them 2nd hand at a sizeable discount from O.Frei)

but for the $ the TungChoy/WillJean mesh is a very good value... the ones with the extra links make sizing a bit easier, although the pins holding the links can be a pain to reassemble...

good luck with your decision and happy hunting!

cheers,
Peter
I've noticed a strange phenomenon since I started hanging around this forum . . . WIS are very happy to vicariously spend the other guy's money!!!:-d:-d:-d

But on a more serious note, has anyone been into OFREI's brick-and-mortar store in Oakland? I am going to be in the Bay area this week and wonder if it is worth a trip to look for a used mesh (plus other goodies, of course). If he really stocks everything on his website it might be a fun (if expensive) excursion.

#9 ·
It looks really great. I just wish they made a version without the lug end bars. For the PO I like the look of having the mesh go directly on the springbars. For your watch, this is a great look though. The Ball is a bit more formal than the PO so the solid bars suit it. It's in the running . . . . but I think I want the open mesh end.

#10 ·
I've owned the Staib, WJean and the Omega. The Wjean is okay but not in the same league as the Omega. Call the Omega forum FAD or PM me for information on where to buy if you don't have it as it will be much less than $300. Staib is very nice too if you don't mind the bars on the end links

#12 ·
Does anyone have photos of this band with the extra links on a watch. Perhaps a wrist shot? I'm interested to see how noticeable the extra links are. Thanks.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.