Mesh advice please: Strap Code or Deep Blue?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By footie
  • 1 Post By funknjam

Thread: Mesh advice please: Strap Code or Deep Blue?

Mesh advice please: Strap Code or Deep Blue?

I'd really appreciate the benefit of your wisdom on which of these to buy for the money, to go on my DB Juggy III.

1. $49 Strapcode: 24mm Interlocking Heavy Look Mesh Divers Watch Band Bracelet, XS, M, XL

2. $63 Strapcode: 24mm Stainless Steel Mesh Watch Bracelet, Solid End Lug, Chamfer Diver Clasp

3. $80 Deep Blue: 22, 24, 26mm MESH BRACELET STAINLESS STEEL - Stainless Steel Replacement Bracelets

4. $80 Deep Blue: (22, sold out ) 24, 26mm Mesh Link Bracelet - Stainless Steel Replacement Bracelets

Is there any reason (other than branding) to go with the more expensive Deep Blue?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Mesh advice please: Strap Code or Deep Blue?

Nobody has any thoughts? Strap Code mesh vs. Deep Blue mesh just in general? Thanks.

Sorry mate your first two links aren't opening so can't say.

items in store on eBay!

This site is worth a look ;)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have several of the Deep Blue meshes on my 22MM cases. They are beefy enough to support large/ heavy cases. And the adjustability via link removal and adjusting holes in the clasp will cover a large range of wrist sizes. If you prefer total mesh appearance, then the Strapcode models look like a good choice. But you need to order the correct size. Note though, if you plan to use the Deep Blues, their clasps appear somewhat large or what some may describe as overkill for smaller size cases.

I have had both and they are nice, but found the strapcode bracelets to be of a bit better quality in terms of final fit and finish, IMO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

As of this writing, Deep Blue still shows their %30 off all bracelets and straps! May be a decision maker...

Thought I'd follow up with what might be some helpful information for folks interested in order DB mesh. This is not supposed to be a negative review of Deep Blue (love the brand), or the mesh bracelet - ultimately I really like the end result and the look. But it took some relatively serious struggles to get there. There are pics of the end result and also of the first DB mesh I got that didn't work out.

Here's a list:

1. The Mesh Link Bracelet is way too big.

I ordered what Deep Blue refers to as the "Mesh Link Bracelet" on the 30% off sale, $5 shipping. Total $61. Even with all the links removed and it microadjusted as small as possible, the mesh is still way too big. My wrist is 6 3/4"-6 7/8", so I don't think I'm abnormal. In fact, the OEM and the 5 link bracelets that came with my Sea Ram and Juggy adjust just fine to my wrist size (pics attached showing how much longer the mesh is against the 5 link even with the mesh as short as possible). I've never had a problem with any strap or bracelet being too large. The Mesh Link is listed on the website as 7 3/4", while the "Regular Mesh" as customer service describes it on the phone is 8 1/4", so naturally someone trying to order the smaller of the two would order the Mesh Link. However, not correct, as I was told by Deep Blue. The Mesh Link is shorter but has fewer removeable links. So even though the Regular Mesh is longer, it has the capability of adjusting smaller. Very confusing on the website and not something the average person would know without trial and error.

Deep Blue customer service told me to include a check for $6 for return shipping back to me (after I was spending $6 to ship it back to them), and I balked. I told them I was surprised they were sweating me for the $6 and they ultimately relented after some haggling. It's just the principle of the thing after their screwy website description made me order the wrong one. So I got the regular mesh bracelet a couple of weeks after I had started the whole process because of the haggling and return shipping and all.

2. It's Extremely Difficult to Adjust

The bracelet ultimately adjusted short enough for me, but let me tell you I BATTLED WITH IT. The holes in the links were just not matching up well and the pins are pretty flimsy. I got all the links taken out and put back in to my size, but it took me a long time, my fingers were completely chewed up, and in the end I could not get the final link in to finish the job. I had to go to a jeweler, and even he struggled with it for like 20 minutes. The holes were just not lining up even trying several different links and pins. In the end I had to help him by hammering the pin in while he jimmied the links back and forth - it needed two sets of hands. I'm kind of lucky I didn't throw the watch out my 24th floor office window I was so frustrated. When I adjusted the Mesh Link bracelet initially, I had none of these issues - the links and pins removed and went back to together smoothly with no issues.

3. Clasp

Before ordering I had already called Deep Blue and they had told me the ONLY difference between the two was the shape of the links - which I knew was not true based on the length description, but also the clasps are different. I don't know the technical term for it, but the clasp on the the Mesh Link has push button releases on both sides - I really like it because I feel like all my DB clasps that don't have it tend to not seem like they are locked in place until I fold the latch over. It's a small thing, but I think the Mesh Link has a nicer clasp. Sucks for me.

4. Looks good
    Some pics are attached. In the end it looks good and is beefy and nice. Despite the initial frustration I am happy, but I'm not sure I'd want to go through this process again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ChiefWahoo likes this.

Sorry you had all these troubles. If it helps, it looks awesome and I'm regretting not getting one. I'll be back for their black Friday sale this year.

Quote Originally Posted by footie View Post
    I'd really appreciate the benefit of your wisdom on which of these to buy for the money, to go on my DB Juggy III.
    I know I'm late and you have surely already selected a bracelet but I just found this thread because I just bought a used Fleet Admiral (no bracelet) and wanted to get the SS Mesh bracelet and had some questions.

Like Footie, above, I am not here to disparage Deep Blue but the DB mesh bracelets can be a challenge to size. The alignment of the holes in the links is the issue. Like Footie, I struggled with trying to push the friction pins all the way through. Also as Footie noted, it comes sized for someone with maybe a 10" wrist so lots of extra links, which is fine with me!

I bought a used Master Diver here and it happened to come with a brand new, still in plastic, 22mm DB mesh bracelet. I adjusted it to fit and wore it once and decided it was the wrong strap for that watch. So I quickly put another bracelet on that and was saving the mesh for the Fleet Admiral when I finally found one. Well, 'the bay' finally came through and I got my new Fleet Admiral today and went to put the bracelet on it and that's when I realized it was the wrong size - the FA takes a 24m bracelet.

I contacted DB and was told the 24mm was "in production and should be back in soon." Then an hour later, DB sent me an email saying, "it was just added to the website." So before I dropped $80 on a new DB bracelet, I thought I'd do some research and I found your post. I checked out those from StrapCode and here's the issue for me: the only adjustment on them is from the microadjustment in the clasp. The cheaper one has three different positions (so adjustable by only 3mm) and the more expensive one has six microadjustments in the clasp (so a total adjustment possible of only 6mm).

And that's why I just spent $80 on a brand new DB 24mm stainless mesh bracelet. I can size it to fit my 8" wrist perfectly. I can't say the same about those two you listed from strapcode. And when poking around the strapcode site, I saw several similar bracelets and all were more expensive than the DB. So, if you haven't already, I'd say go for the DB.

Cheers!
    ChiefWahoo likes this.

Thread Information