Most Sanitary Type of Watch Strap?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Most Sanitary Type of Watch Strap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Most Sanitary Type of Watch Strap?

This is not a fear question, as I will continue to wear my strap of choice during this crisis. But out of curiosity, what considered the most sanitary type of watch strap or bracelet, i.e easy to sanitize? I heard rubber is porous, leather is terrible when wet, is it NATO? Staineless Steel? This might something often though up on the medical field when there’s lots of exposure or education will young children who like or have to touch staff’s hands watches, etc.

Re: Most Sanitary Type of Watch Strap?

Stainless or plastic. Anything you can disinfect without ruining the strap should be fine.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk
    Pneuma likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woiter View Post
    Stainless or plastic. Anything you can disinfect without ruining the strap should be fine.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would guess rubber / silicone, especially those with limited depth of texture.

Not that any watch is, "Food safe," but I'd lean towards Silicon being the most sanitary as the only points for contamination are the holes for the spring bars. It's also able to withstand steam sterilization without degradation and it doesn't break down majorly over time like a lot of other elastomers like EPDM and such.

My wife (a surgeon) and I have had this discussion several times in the past. In a health care setting what you are discussing is what is and isn't a likely fomite. The interesting this is some things you think of as easy to transmit like paper or money really aren't because the porosity prevents easy transmission. So leather actually is less likely to see pathogen transfer than metal. So you are more likely to transfer a pathogen via a stainless steel bracelet BUT it is much easier to sanitize at least on the surfaces you can reach easily without immersion. The point being there is no simple answer. My wife only wears metal bracelet watches at work and will wash them along with her hands between patients in the clinic. Other docs in her group wear all manner of watch straps as do the nurses. In her specialization, they actually don't touch patients that often except in the OR nurses and or PAs will do vitals and routine physical exams the majority of the time.

As an interesting aside copper would be as near perfect as you could get for a metal bracelet for this narrow use.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Sinn makes a "medical professionals" watch, the EZM12, which has a quick-detach silicone strap and an easily removed bezel. These and other features are designed to facilitate cleaning in all the crevices. That might be more important than any particular material.

Silicone would be my guess as well.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I'd also think a one-piece perlon might be good, as it's trivial to remove and wash.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote Originally Posted by zenfrogmaster View Post
    Sinn makes a "medical professionals" watch, the EZM12, which has a quick-detach silicone strap and an easily removed bezel. These and other features are designed to facilitate cleaning in all the crevices. That might be more important than any particular material.
    Interesting, I didn’t know this. Expensive though. I think I’ll stick to my 104 on SS bracelet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information