Movado Bold Watch Will Not Hold Metal Bracelet?

Thread: Movado Bold Watch Will Not Hold Metal Bracelet?

Movado Bold Watch Will Not Hold Metal Bracelet?

So this weekend I tried on two Movado Bold watches. The two watches are mostly identical but one had a metal band and one had a leather strap. I decided to order the leather strap version as I liked the look better and figure I can purchase a metal band from a third party. (I actually would like to purchase a black metal mesh band for it and switch the two bands out depending on the occasion.)

While searching the internet for the best deal I found a few pieces of misinformation on the GM sites. Some sites say both watches take a 20mm band, some say 22mm, and some have both watches listed with 20mm or 22mm depending on whether you choose metal or leather. To get an accurate size I emailed Movado and went to the store to get the exact size. It is the response form Movado that has me scratching my head.

I was able to confirm that the two watches take a 22mm band but the rep then said the following,

"
    The only differences on the watches are the band and the lugs on the case where the band attaches. The leather band from model 3600307 can be put on model 3600099, but they are not compatible the other way around. The case lugs on model 3600307 are not strong enough to hold the heavier band."

Im not sure what she means by "not strong enough". If I purchase a metal mesh band is it going to fall off all the time? Are the lugs going to pop off (doubt this)? I know that some watches have proprietary lugs that make certain metal bands incompatible but from the look of the watch it seems that the leather version does have the universal lug and pin system all my other watches use. So am I going to run into issues if I purchase a third party metal band?

If you could let me know your thoughts on this I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Unfortunately I cannot post direct links. You can copy the below into google and the watches and band I am referencing should pop up.

Leather Version: Movado Bold 3600307
    Metal Version: Movado Bold 3600099
    Mesh Band I am considering: Watchgecko Butterfly HD Milanese Mesh

Re: Movado Bold Watch Will Not Hold Metal Bracelet?

So I received another response from Movado. I posed basically the same question I pose above and the rep respond with,

"Hello,

When the watches were designed, the bands were not mean to be interchangeable. Though they measure out to fit one another, the heaviness of the link band can snap the case in half on the models that were made with leather bands. It is not that they were not made to spec, it is that they were not meant to hold that band.

Thank you,
    Customer service
    Movado Group, Inc.
    (800) 810-2311"

​What are your thoughts?

Here's my take.

#1: a $200 price difference just for the bracelet? For SS and urethane? Seems ridiculous.
    #2: Worse, obviously what they're saying is, they cut corners wherever they can get away with it. Weaker lugs? THAT much weaker??? And how much are they really saving?

If they're cutting a corner like that, what OTHER corners are they cutting???

Honestly, I would just forget about dealing with the company *at all* for this. It's not a watchmaking company, it's a bean-counting company.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the world of watches, some good, so not so.....
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Yeah, its a shame cause its a nice look. well...life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Here's my take.

#1: a $200 price difference just for the bracelet? For SS and urethane? Seems ridiculous.
    #2: Worse, obviously what they're saying is, they cut corners wherever they can get away with it. Weaker lugs? THAT much weaker??? And how much are they really saving?

If they're cutting a corner like that, what OTHER corners are they cutting???

Honestly, I would just forget about dealing with the company *at all* for this. It's not a watchmaking company, it's a bean-counting company.
    That is an unusually large bracelet/leather price spread, so I detect the smell of ........ here. He's upselling this dude.

Now, there are some watches where they change the location of the lug holes so the OEM bracelet won't fit on the leather version, but "weaker"? I'm pretty sure the lugs of a brand-name watch can handle some Milanese mesh, are they saying a tiny little 79 cent springbar can carry the weight but the $250 watch case can't? Also looking at the two models their lugs look identical.
    Last edited by Wristwatching; May 8th, 2016 at 19:07.

Yup, the rep specifically said the case would snap. Pretty sketchy sales tactic if you ask me. I bet a measure of weight would confirm if there is a difference.

Thread Information