my hand at stitching(12/14)

Thread: my hand at stitching(12/14)

my hand at stitching(12/14)

I decided to try stitching again now that I have the correct tools. This is a distressed brown strap with natural edging and comes with one floating keeper.

24mm wide 85mm/125 holes start at 50mm and are 10 mm apart.

Let me know what you think. Feedback would be great. Thanks

Re: my hand at stitching(12/14)

Feedback...how about it looks GREAT. Nice work, can we get a photo or two of the tools and a walk through of how you did it?

Not bad. For next time (from someone who's never made a strap, but whatever) make sure the stitches on both sides line up, it makes the strap look more aesthetically pleasing. And as for the keeper, maybe bevel the edges that meet and glue them together as well as stitching it. I like the bevel on the exposed edges of the keeper, though. Good work.
    Regards,
    Hugh

Current Collection:
    Sinn U1 - Seiko SBBN007 - Hamilton Jazzmaster Traveler GMT - Tissot Seastar 1000
    G-shock DW5025B-7V - G-shock GW700BDJ-2

Outgoing:
    G-shock GW5525A-1 G-shock DW5600R-3JF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by henxing View Post
    Not bad. For next time (from someone who's never made a strap, but whatever) make sure the stitches on both sides line up, it makes the strap look more aesthetically pleasing. And as for the keeper, maybe bevel the edges that meet and glue them together as well as stitching it. I like the bevel on the exposed edges of the keeper, though. Good work.
    mind if i add to your post the term used is skiving >< thining out the joint and overlaping them this way it makes the joint stronger (more glued surface) but without adding extra thickness.

i know its another tool (super skiver at tandy) but i helps with the buckle piece joint as well as thining out the lug area on thicker leathers. before i got the skiver i would do it with a utility knife.

as far as your sitching goes i think it looks good .

cory
    hamilton khaki Field Auto Chrono-black
    Marathon GSAR
    Tag Kirium Quartz
    Seiko PMMM Mod
    PAM Hommage

Quote Originally Posted by henxing View Post
    I agree re: stitches. Mind you many so called high end strap manufacturers make a complete hash of the stitching, unbalanced either side or stitches that are of variable size.

No doubt harder than it looks, forgiveable for an amateur but not for a professional company who makes a living out of building straps - esp' if they are charging top dollar.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know the stitching was a little off but I thought it was not a bad attempt for my first one.

Quote Originally Posted by cheff1983 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know the stitching was a little off but I thought it was not a bad attempt for my first one.
    I agree, definitely not a bad attempt for your first one.

Quote Originally Posted by monticore View Post
    mind if i add to your post the term used is skiving
    Thanks for this. I had heard the term before but I couldn't think of it at the time.
    Regards,
    Hugh

Current Collection:
    Sinn U1 - Seiko SBBN007 - Hamilton Jazzmaster Traveler GMT - Tissot Seastar 1000
    G-shock DW5025B-7V - G-shock GW700BDJ-2

Outgoing:
    G-shock GW5525A-1 G-shock DW5600R-3JF

Thread Information