NATO straps on high end watches?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Steelhead
  • 2 Post By GTR83
  • 1 Post By Camguy
  • 1 Post By BrentYYC

Thread: NATO straps on high end watches?

NATO straps on high end watches?

What is the appeal of a NATO strap. For the life of me I just do not get it. I constantly see NATO straps on high end panerai, rolex, and even chunky breitling watches, and I don't really get the appeal of a $5 nylon strap in a multiple thousand dollar watch. Am I missing something. I understand some watches have military roots and it may be authentic. Sorry rant over. How do others feel about this or am I alone? Perhaps I should shell out a few bucks and try it out myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: NATO straps on high end watches?

I think maybe people like to dress down a dressy watch, and a nato is a classy/easy way to do it.

I wouldn't know anything about having a multi-thousand dollar watch but that's my best guess.
    UX Designer, leather worker, screen printer and aficionado of fine cheeses.

There are some very nice high quality leather Nato and Zulu straps. They have some beautiful finishes and match most watches nicely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by estebanelequente View Post
    ... I don't really get the appeal of a $5 nylon strap in a multiple thousand dollar watch.....
    I have never understood this argument. What difference does the price of the strap make? Is a $200 gator really​ that much more acceptable on a multi-thousand dollar watch?
    Anglo Irish likes this.
    All Stainless, (almost) All The Time

TEAM SWITZERLAND: TAG Heuer Aquaracer WAF1113.BA0801, Rolex Oysterdate 6694, ESQ Filmore 07300964

TEAM JAPAN: Seiko SKX007K2, Seiko SBDC003, Seiko SGF204, Casio Edifice EF-503, Casio G-Shock DW5600E, Casio G-Shock AWGM100B, Casio G-Shock GW6900

TEAM GERMANY: Laco Valencia, Graf Zeppelin 7686-2

TEAM CHINA: sterile Radiomir, MM Luminor

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    I have never understood this argument. What difference does the price of the strap make? Is a $200 gator really​ that much more acceptable on a multi-thousand dollar watch?
    I wouldn't argue that it is not because of the price. More because of the quality of the material. Trust me I don't have a ton of money, and I didn't ask this to argue. I don't own $200 straps. But, I am curious about the appeal. I totally get dressing it down. Also I'm talking about cheap NATO straps. I have seen real nice Zulu straps. I just don't get the appeal of making I really nice watch look almost like a walmart watch. And only on certain watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been discussed to death I think but I'm guessing it's like the attraction of the $500.00 jeans that look like they've come out of a dumpster after being thrown in there by the Trailer Park Boys. Maybe it adds character and rakishness to a very staid and conservative piece?

Also, some watches have that military styling appeal to it, and in the real world, the US Army servicemen do use nylon straps for their analog watches. It is much more practical to be worn alongside gloves, one of the reasons why servicemen like them.

Sent from my C5302 using Tapatalk
    pepperami and Anglo Irish like this.
    GTR stands for George The Rabid. Fanboy of COSC (Casio - Orient - Seiko - Citizen, in that order )

I think it can look pretty cool, and a little variety is a good thing, IMHO.

Name:  e9dbea5bf68273dfb89c7d8126be0863.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  169.9 KB

Name:  b83029b7dbce958f8eb4fbb41b072802.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  191.2 KB
    Anglo Irish likes this.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

This is why...

Aside from the fact it gives the watch a different vibe, for variety, here's why.

I have ice buildup on my driveway, from freeze/thaw cycles over the winter, that's about 2" thick. A couple of days ago I went out with a shovel to start chipping and scraping it off, wearing my Rolex SubC (weekend watch) on a Bond RAF strap like the one below (functionally similar to a Nato). A couple of minutes into some very aggressive chopping against the ice, I felt my watch loosen as though it had adjusted by a strap hole or two. I took a look at my wrist and saw my Sub hanging off the strap by one spring bar... the other spring bar had popped off. Fortunately, because it was on a strap that threads through the spring bars (Nato or RAF, take your pick), the watch didn't drop off as it would have if I had been wearing it on the bracelet (or a normal strap).

And that's the main reason I wear Nato straps on my sport and dive watches (the RAF strap is strictly for my Sub, as a Bond homage).

Name:  Bond  RAF.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  24.6 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; March 11th, 2014 at 18:17.
    Anglo Irish likes this.

Thread Information