NATO/Zulu hybrid goes on a diet.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Elkins45

Thread: NATO/Zulu hybrid goes on a diet.

NATO/Zulu hybrid goes on a diet.

I have purchased several straps from Amazon made by a company named ArtStyle. They seems well-made and I like them, but they are a tad heavy. From what I have learned they aren't a true NATO strap because although they have a doubled band, they have the rounded and heavier hardware that is usually associated with a single band Zulu. They are also thicker than the other NATO straps I have.

I recently bought a Luminox STC with a carbon fiber case, so replacing the stock rubber straps with one of the ArtStyle straps adds more weight than I wanted for a light weight watch. I wanted to trim off the extra band and two extra rings, but I wanted to make sure it didn't weaken the stitches or leave a point where it could fray. This is probably not news to anyone who works with nylon, but a hot knife is your friend when cutting webbing. I heated up my least favorite kitchen knife and melted right through the strap----like a hot knife through butter!

Knives and Lint and Karkarov like this.

Re: NATO/Zulu hybrid goes on a diet.

welcome to the club:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: NATO/Zulu hybrid goes on a diet.

The hot knife is a cool idea. I too cut the extra strap off every one of my NATO/Zulu straps and they wear remarkably better for me that way. In fact, it is the only way I like them. I always found it funny how so many people complain about every mm of thickness in watches but don't hesitate to bulk them up by doubling up nylon straps.

To cut them, I use hemostats and cinch them as high up near the stitch on the extra strap as I can get them. I then use a very sharp pair fabric scissors and cut the strap as close to the hemostats as I can. Finally, while leaving the hemostats in place, I use a lighter to singe the excess strap. It leaves a nice clean line that will not easily fray...It works well, but I must admit it's not as cool as using a torch and a hot blade

Thread Information