Need a quick strap do's and dont's education for my strap monster in coming

Thread: Need a quick strap do's and dont's education for my strap monster in coming

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a quick strap do's and dont's education for my strap monster in coming

Hello all. I have never owned a " strap monster " as a matter of fact I just learned the term. I was going to buy a Sinn 104 and everyone was telling me this watch is a strap monster.......decided against the 104 and I am now hot on the trail of a Squale 1521 black dial polished dive watch. Usually I am a bracelet man but this watch only has the option for a mesh bracelet at purchase so I will be ordering on rubber or leather then off to the races in the strap world.
    So for a noob in the strap world that currently has an itchy wrist from a really cheap rubber strap that I had on my beater...obviously had nickle in the clasp :( ....

What are like 5 do's and dont's of strap buying?

Of course i looked on Ebay...there are straps from $6.00 from China and straps for $65.00 from Italy....both say leather :)

I can see me falling in the $25 to $50 dollar area for strap purchases.

I would also like suggestions for quality bracelets...for example maybe a nice oyster for my in coming Squale....

Ok ....school me please...

Re: Need a quick strap do's and dont's education for my strap monster in coming

I've never heard that term.

And I'm seriously confused...I assume it means "really hard to pair the head to a strap" but...WHY? With a 104? Black dial, black bezel is a piece of *cake* to pair. Any color's gonna work except arguably a dark brown, so it'll be a style question. The white dial is a bit trickier, but certainly black, any gray, or tan/wheat leather. Black, white, red, or navy blue rubber or nylon/perlon should all be good. With the total contrast between bezel and dial, I'd stay with a solid, primary color.

First question. You're looking at a 500m WR watch. Is there a reason you're pushing for this level? Granted, I'd seriously prefer a lesser WR but with real diver certification if that's the case. I ask because it's seriously important WRT strap material. Is leather really correct?

Next up...when is this gonna be worn?

I'd lean to a single-pass nylon or NATO strap...Clockwork Synergy had a seat belt black nylon with an edge color thrown in...and IIRC orange was one of em. That would look great.

In leather, there are numerous reasons. Good intro article here:

https://www.heddels.com/2014/06/over...eather-grades/

Safe to say that $6 Chinese cheapo is bonded crap.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Thank you for your reply. Strap Monster refers to ...This being a watch that you can use many straps easily for. I passed on the Sinn 104.......I am going for the 1520 Squale. But I dont need help matching straps with watches. I was looking for tips and tricks for purchasing straps and bracelets from the vast array of vendors. My example was on Ebay they have $6.00 leather straps that they claim is top quality.....Ebay also has straps from Italy that cost $65.00. The people on this site always seems to find the nicest straps for their watches and i doubt they are the $6.00 China version. So I am asking for a few vendors or websites that I can trust to sell me quality straps at a reasonable price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

If you can narrow down your tastes at all it might help. For standard nylon NATOs alone there is a huge variety of quality, type, style, sellers. Leather is a whole different ball game, as is rubber. Also, are you looking for a standard lug width like 20mm or 22mm, or one of the more oddball 19 or 21mm widths.

There u go...now we have a starting point. The Squale has a 20mm lug width. I am not a Nato person..just not cool enough to pull those off.
    I would like quality silicone or rubber...but silicone seems to be more comfortable
    Quality leather at a medium price point
    Quality bracelet ...maybe an oyster for example....at medium price point

I own a Seiko SKX007 and have 2 Starpcode bracelets for that watch...besides the fact that they are almsost impossible to install due to pin alignment the quality of the bracelet is about my speed.

Banned

Go to Holben’s fine watch strap, they have all kinds of quality straps, including rubber ones that you are looking for. The lesson I learned is never to buy cheap straps, instead buy the ones made in Italy or Germany, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Gshock......I will check them out......thats what I want....just a couple of places I can shop for straps and bracelets .....good quality decent prices...

When buying a strap, definitely beware of the thickness. The Squale is 13mm thick, so it would look very awkward on a 1mm thick strap. I have 15mm thick watches on 4.5mm thick straps, and 6mm thick watches on 1mm straps.
    I dont think where a strap is made shows any indication of quality. At most, different countries have allotments for what chemicals can be used in the process of tanning the leather. The Squale would look good on anything you throw at it. Black on black means anything goes. You could put it on a pink strap and it would look just fine.
    My favorite current band is a Dassari Baron that I purchased on ebay for $30, but the finishing isnt as nice as it is on my $60 Crown and Buckle straps.
    Name:  dassari.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  36.7 KB
    Last edited by Drewdoog; March 16th, 2018 at 22:23.

Drew...thanks for the tip.........

Nice lookin dive watch! What is it???

Quote Originally Posted by jpv7774 View Post
    Drew...thanks for the tip.........

Nice lookin dive watch! What is it???
    Karlskrona Nordic Shield

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information