Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Egsise
  • 1 Post By Pallet Spoon

Thread: Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    65

    Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp

    Hello friends,

    I have a brown dial Orient Star that currently has a 21mm brown croc leather strap. The strap honestly feels a little cheap and widdles down to 18mm at the buckle. (I wish Orient would have put a nicer strap on this great watch).

    I'm looking for a new 21mm brown leather strap, with a textured finish (not quite lizard textured, but similar in design). If the strap could stay somewhere in the 19-21mm range at the buckle that'd be great. Extra bonus if it's a butterfly clasp.

    Anyway, I've been searching the internet for something like this, and unfortunately all I can really find are straps that are croc embossed. I guess 21mm is a popular size for croc...

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Member Nokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    22,800

    Re: Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp

    Might try watchbandcenter.com

    They are located in Germany, but ship fast and have a good selection of uneven sized straps.

    Good luck
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

    "The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    184

    Re: Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp

    Buy a 22mm strap and cut 0,5mm from both sides, or contact the manufacturer and they can do it for you with minimal cost.
    22mm usually tapers to 20mm so it should be easy to find suitable butterfly clasp. Also check the single fold deployants which imho are more comfortable.

    My watch has 21mm lugs and I've been using 20mm strap that tapers to 18mm, I just like it more than 22mm/20mm strap.
    In some cases it is possible to stretch the 20mm strap close to 21mm, so far I've managed to stretch mine from 20mm to 20,40mm.
    One watchmaker explained how that it's doable and apparently it works. Take the strap off and springbar out from the strap.
    You just need to squeeze the strap flatter from where the springbar is, I have a tiny smooth edge bench vice that I've used.
    The leather is flexible so it spreads to the sides thus making it a just a bit wider.
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Pallet Spoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Surrounded by the Great Lakes
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp

    Quote Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
    Buy a 22mm strap and cut 0,5mm from both sides, or contact the manufacturer and they can do it for you with minimal cost.
    22mm usually tapers to 20mm so it should be easy to find suitable butterfly clasp. Also check the single fold deployants which imho are more comfortable.

    My watch has 21mm lugs and I've been using 20mm strap that tapers to 18mm, I just like it more than 22mm/20mm strap.
    In some cases it is possible to stretch the 20mm strap close to 21mm, so far I've managed to stretch mine from 20mm to 20,40mm.
    One watchmaker explained how that it's doable and apparently it works. Take the strap off and springbar out from the strap.
    You just need to squeeze the strap flatter from where the springbar is, I have a tiny smooth edge bench vice that I've used.
    The leather is flexible so it spreads to the sides thus making it a just a bit wider.
    You can simply "pinch" a 22 in without issues and no cutting.
    CrownAndBuckle likes this.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    184

    Re: Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallet Spoon View Post
    You can simply "pinch" a 22 in without issues and no cutting.
    I can assure that if someone knows watches enough to spot the gap that too small strap causes, he can spot a strap that has been forced in to 1mm smaller lugs.
    In both cases 1mm too narrow or wide strap, if you can live with how it looks either one is ok because no one else won't notice or care about it.

  7. #6
    Member Pallet Spoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Surrounded by the Great Lakes
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp

    Quote Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
    I can assure that if someone knows watches enough to spot the gap that too small strap causes, he can spot a strap that has been forced in to 1mm smaller lugs.
    In both cases 1mm too narrow or wide strap, if you can live with how it looks either one is ok because no one else won't notice or care about it.

    Nope, not at that width. A gap is easy to spot while a 1mm pinch with most straps, is not.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Pallet Spoon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
    I can assure that if someone knows watches enough to spot the gap that too small strap causes, he can spot a strap that has been forced in to 1mm smaller lugs.
    In both cases 1mm too narrow or wide strap, if you can live with how it looks either one is ok because no one else won't notice or care about it.

    Nope, not at that width. A gap is easy to spot while a 1mm pinch with most straps, is not.
    Yes I understand that those who suggest forcing 1mm wider strap between the lugs are blind to how horrible it looks.
    Just like I'm blind to see the 1mm gap.

    Not to mention that the strap width changes the look the most. Dressy watch is better with narrower strap, if original is 21mm/18mm it's good. 22mm/20mm rarely looks better.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    65

    Re: Need recommendation - 21mm brown leather with texture and butterfly clasp

    Thanks for the recommendations guys. The ones on watch band center look fairly interesting.

    I've previously cut down a couple 22mm's down to 20mm's, and while it looked fairly good, you could tell it wasn't perfect. Perhaps 21mm down to 20mm would be slightly better? Nonetheless, I'd prefer something that would fit perfectly the first time.

    And I honestly don't like narrow straps (20/18), regardless of how dressy the watch is. Just doesn't feel right on the wrist.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •