Neutralizing scented straps

Thread: Neutralizing scented straps

Question Neutralizing scented straps

As some of you will know, Glycine uses vanilla scented rubber straps on some of their models. Why they do this I do not know--my Lagunare LE strap stinks and I can't wear the watch as long as that stink is eminating from the strap. Yes, I'm one of those guys that doesn't like strong fragrances. So, this might seem like a strange question, but does anyone know of a way to "neutralize" scented straps without damaging the strap? I know I could just change out the strap, but since this strap is custom to the watch, I'd like to use it if I can get it to stop smelling so strongly.
    Any suggestions (within reason ) appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

Re: Neutralizing scented straps

Quote Originally Posted by CalDiver View Post
    As some of you will know, Glycine uses vanilla scented rubber straps on some of their models. Why they do this I do not know--my Lagunare LE strap stinks and I can't wear the watch as long as that stink is eminating from the strap. Yes, I'm one of those guys that doesn't like strong fragrances. So, this might seem like a strange question, but does anyone know of a way to "neutralize" scented straps without damaging the strap? I know I could just change out the strap, but since this strap is custom to the watch, I'd like to use it if I can get it to stop smelling so strongly.
    Thanks!
    Vanilla oil is used as a preservative. Natural rubber breaks down over time, just like your radiator hose. I happen to like the smell and have to sniff it every time I put one on, but to each their own.

It does die down significantly over time. You might try using a rubbing alcohol and let the strap soak a little. I don't think you'll eliminate it totally, but it will not be as strong. Just remember it is natural rubber so nothing too harsh. Hey! Try Armor All!!

/Tim

First thought that comes to mind is soaking the straps in a solution of baking soda and water.

I'd ask the people at www.nilodor.com or www.odoban.com
    They should have some kind of expertise on the topic.

I'd never use Armor All. A similar product is 303 Aerospace Protectant. I prefer this to Armor All.
    Last edited by Holden; June 12th, 2007 at 19:29.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CalDiver View Post
    Thanks!
    Just found this post -- I bought a DiveStraps rubber strap recently and just put it on my Volmax Aviator 24 hour yesterday (pics below), and did not know it had a vanilla smell until I started getting a headache. The smell is stinking up everything, including my watch box!

I was going to start a new post but searched on "vanilla" and found this info.

I guess I have a hard time believing it was put in there as a preservative? Surely there is some modern chemical that could be used instead? I don't want to use anything harsh to try and get rid of the smell, but it's very bothersome. Anyone ever find a solution to this?

I would never buy another strap from DiveStraps or whomever that had this smell...!

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Though I can't reference the source so take this with a grain of salt, I heard that natural rubber has an unpleasant odor and vanilla is used because it does the best job of masking it. Someone please correct me if this info is wrong.
    Current favorites:
    Squale Y1545 20 ATMOS Militaire (Original) Ser. No. 0001; Sturmanskie Open Space 24Hr Ser. No. 199/250; Glycine Airman 17; Seiko Prospex PADI SRPA21;
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20; Bathys Black Aquaculture; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS; + about 25 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

Thread Information