New strap added! - My first strap build
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New strap added! - My first strap build

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New strap added! - My first strap build

I had just finished up putting back together another vintage chrono and had thrown on a new Hamilton khaki style strap. Someone suggested it was all wrong with that new strap, and I think they were right.

I've been eyeing lots of custom ammo pouch straps out there and really feel they fit the vintage watches well, especially old military watches and chronographs. But after my first and only custom strap order turned out far less than stellar, I couldn't bring myself to popping that kind of money on that gamble again. And I don't have the patience to wait a month again. So what's a guy to do?

Figured what the heck, I'll just make my own. I rummaged through some scrap leathers at a local boot/saddle shop and found some great pieces, but the best find was at a thrift store I frequent a lot for the cool stuff they get in all the time. I had made my rounds and was heading out, when I caught a glimpse of a ratty old belt sitting out of place. After seeing that one I had to scour the belt racks. In the midst of hundred and hundred of vinyl junk I managed to pick 6 vintage leather belts from at least the 60s, if not earlier. They are perfect for the task; worn, soft, and plenty long for two straps each! Cool.

Sat down last night and cranked out my first one. It's a dark reddish brown oiled leather that I added brown stitching to. This one is 18mm wide with a stainless buckle and single fixed keeper. It's not perfect, but I'm loving it on the '43 Breitling!! Now I have to make more. Hopefully my hand stitching will continue to improve. Great ... another hobby to start obsessing over. LoL!

Here she is. What do you think?

Last edited by DHopper71; February 19th, 2012 at 04:11.
    Dave
    Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a Chronoholic. It's been almost a XXXX day since my last chrono buy. I'm still going through DTs, and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

Re: My first strap build

Looks very nice. Good job!

v/r
    brian

Couple more pics ...

Nokie likes this.
    Dave
    Hi, my name is Dave, and I'm a Chronoholic. It's been almost a XXXX day since my last chrono buy. I'm still going through DTs, and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice! Looks great on your watch.

really cool strap and I love your vintage Breitling!! 2 thumbs up!!
    Daddy-O

Thanks guys! It was lots of fun actually. I'm going to try a few more over the weekend and see how it goes. With so many pro makers out there, it's hard to come up with something totally original and unique, but at least I can know I made them myself.
    Dave

Finished up strap #2 today. This is vintaged burgundy brown leather with one fixed and an optional loose keeper. I'm really loving the softness and texture on this one. The color really pops in the light. Stitching might be a few steps above the first attempt.

Dave

I am impressed. You did a fantastic job. Keep it up and I will buy one from you.
    Current Rotation:

Breitling Aerospace Repitition Minutes
    Citizen Promaster
    GShockB5000D Full Metal
    Omega
    MegaQuartz 32 KH
    Omega Planet Ocean 600 Tianium
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
    Rolex Datejust 16233
    Seiko 6105 8110

Thx, WB. Not sure I'm quite ready for orders, yet! Lots to learn b4 I can compete with the real pros. Maybe someday.

Here's strap #3. A lighter tan with reversed suede fixed keeper.

Dave

Those are nice! Can you show us pic of the back side of the straps? I have a big sheet of old leather from Peru, but I have no idea how to wrap it for the spring bars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information