newbie - basics of straps from design standpoint

Thread: newbie - basics of straps from design standpoint

newbie - basics of straps from design standpoint

Hi,
    I make small leather goods using leather (fish leather). I am going to start making some watch straps but I want to better understand a few things. Is 22mm the most common size if I were to just make some to have in stock? I want to make iwatch bands and nato straps. Also, is bracelet style straps a popular thing?

Because the fish leather I use is so thin, I need to pair it with another leather (usually bison leather) and requires some design modifications. What are some things that you would prefer if you were designing your own strap.

Also - 2 floaters or 1 keeper and 1 floater?

Re: newbie - basics of straps from design standpoint

Some answers/opinions for your questions:

I think 20mm is probably the most common size followed by 22mm then 18mm.

What is a bracelet style strap? Metal bracelets are quite popular but I guess you didn't ask that.

If you are making natos maybe you could make single pass instead of the more common type with the extra part. Leather is usually thicker and stiffer than nylon so it adds too much height in my opinion.

You could consider adding quick release spring bars which are becoming more and more common in straps.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a leather strap with 2 floating keepers. Usually they have one fixed and one floating keeper of just one (usually wider) fixed keeper.

Re: newbie - basics of straps from design standpoint

Quote Originally Posted by wyofish View Post
    Hi,
    I make small leather goods using leather (fish leather). I am going to start making some watch straps but I want to better understand a few things. Is 22mm the most common size if I were to just make some to have in stock? I want to make iwatch bands and nato straps. Also, is bracelet style straps a popular thing?

Because the fish leather I use is so thin, I need to pair it with another leather (usually bison leather) and requires some design modifications. What are some things that you would prefer if you were designing your own strap.

Also - 2 floaters or 1 keeper and 1 floater?
    Likely 20mm or 22mm.

Thread Information