notched mesh strap

Thread: notched mesh strap

notched mesh strap

Has any one ever notched a mesh strap? I picked up an auto Vostok Amphibia, and well... any one who owns one knows the straps suck, a lot.
    Have been wanting to try out a mesh on a Vostok for a while, but I feel they look silly when only 18mm wide. I have no fear in cutting down the end tubes of a mesh strap to 18mm. But the question is, would it look any good?
    Last edited by turtle13; March 25th, 2014 at 17:27.

Re: notched mesh strap

It would be an experiment for sure. Never seen one, but if the cuts were clean and the edges finished, and it was not too extreme of a notch, should look ok.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I figure it would have to be done with a mesh strap that has a "tube" instead of just the mesh being wrapped around the pins for it to work.
    Rough cut with a dremel and finish with some diamond hones and i think it could come out pretty nice. The out side of the lugs measures 22.3 mm, so a notched 22mm mesh is as large as the watch would allow. a 2mm notch on either side isnt bad at all.
    I will definitely say that i will try it with a 5-10 ebay mesh strap first though...
    With all the stuff that I have seen people do with amphibias, I am amazed that i have never seen any one try before.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It would be a good idea if you can to practice on something first before you cut the real strap. You obviously know how to work on a project like this and sounds like you also have the right tools for the job.

The only thing I would also suggest it to tape off the other areas so the heat from the dremel wheel does not discolor the metal when you cut, not that it would,
    but you are talking about a pretty small surface area here, and it does not take much heat to light it up.

Good luck and post pix when finished.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Finally got my cheapo mesh strap, glad I went with a 20mm not a 22. Slowly used a dremel cut off wheel and a medium diamond sharpening stone to knock off the burrs. After that I noticed that the strap pond I had were to thick... @#$?
    Now to wait on new pins...
    Here is how it looks mocked up though.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Thread Information