Ostrich leg on a Rissian Diver
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By amacman

Thread: Ostrich leg on a Rissian Diver

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Memphis, TN. USA
    Posts
    994

    Ostrich leg on a Rissian Diver

    Just finished this one off this weekend. It was a challenge putting something together that could even begin to handle the scale of this beast, but I think it manages to pull it off. Its padded and about 7mm thick at the lugs, but thins down to about 5.5mm at the tip.





    99Reza likes this.
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast, Canada
    Posts
    518

    Re: Ostrich leg on a Rissian Diver

    That looks fantastic!! I saw some of that Ostrich leather for sale and was wondering how it would work on a strap, was it fairly easy to work with? What did you line the strap with?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Memphis, TN. USA
    Posts
    994

    Re: Ostrich leg on a Rissian Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by Suncoast View Post
    That looks fantastic!! I saw some of that Ostrich leather for sale and was wondering how it would work on a strap, was it fairly easy to work with? What did you line the strap with?
    Thanks. The strap is lined with kidskin. The ostrich leg is one of the nicer exotics to work with. It similar to working with a textured calfskin. Its a great strap material all around. Very abrasion resistant. You can sand/suede it yourself if desired. Takes various finishes well. The piece pictured was originally a flat butterscotch color. I de-glazed it, buffed it a bit and refinished it satin, it really added a lot of depth. To me its best looking when padded at least a little bit. The padding open up the texture and gives it a lot more depth.
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member CADstraps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    between the lugs
    Posts
    2,544

    Re: Ostrich leg on a Rissian Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by amacman View Post
    The ostrich leg is one of the nicer exotics to work with.
    To be honest, I think it might be my favourite - I certainly prefer it to croc/gator.

    Your refinioshing is as good as any hide treatment I have ever seen, that really is amazing work - the 2nd picture showing a detail of the texture looks too good to be true.

    Nice choice on the kidskin as well. The stretch factor makes it a bit of a pain to work with, but it might be the softest lining available.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Memphis, TN. USA
    Posts
    994

    Re: Ostrich leg on a Rissian Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by CADstraps View Post
    To be honest, I think it might be my favourite - I certainly prefer it to croc/gator.

    Your refinioshing is as good as any hide treatment I have ever seen, that really is amazing work - the 2nd picture showing a detail of the texture looks too good to be true.

    Nice choice on the kidskin as well. The stretch factor makes it a bit of a pain to work with, but it might be the softest lining available.

    Thanks!.. After I deglazed the original finish off, I just buffed on it for a while with some washed canvas (old denim would work) I let the raw leather start to get a little burnished on the high spots, and then sealed it with eco-flow satin. After that was dried and buffed, some eco-flow carnauba cream finished it off.
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

  7. #6
    Member JohnAndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Florida Pan Handle
    Posts
    113

    Re: Ostrich leg on a Rissian Diver

    That's really cool looking! Nice.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •