Perlon Improvements
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BrentYYC
  • 1 Post By CrownAndBuckle

Thread: Perlon Improvements

Perlon Improvements

I just purchased a goldenrod Perlon strap for my Mühle Seebataillon, highlighting the complication. First I swapped out the buckle for a matching Titanium. But since I swim a lot, the glue there made me nervous and I stitched it so it didn't end up at the bottom of the sea.

Has anyone had problems with the glue on Perlon after heavy swimming? Any recommendations to make this as secure as a NATO?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Perlon Improvements

Most of my perlons don't use that kind of buckle; they use a ladder buckle. No glue, and it provides a second way to take up any excess length. A downside, tho, is that your buckle is one HECK of a lot nicer than any ladder buckle I've seen, in person or here; they're all rather lightweight. Esslinger or ofrei might have ladder buckles...or perhaps Holben's.

I would think the glue *should* be waterproof, as perlon should be a natural choice for that use.

Want to experiment? That looks like a single-pass, so it's easy to pull out and later replace. So slide it out. As you're getting ready for the daily bath/shower, you run the water to get it to the right temp. Hold the buckle end right under the water as you do so...say, every day for a week.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I'd be a little worried to wear that, if it was me. You should really stitch the buckle end properly with a sewing machine to prevent it from pulling apart while you're wearing it.
    Nokie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Most perlon straps that I have seen are not glued, they are ultrasonically welded. That means the material is essentially fused to itself. It is very strong. I'm afraid that one strand of thin thread did not add any strength to your strap.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and yours originally had an adjustable buckle and was not fused together?
    Last edited by CrownAndBuckle; August 4th, 2016 at 15:31.
    supawabb likes this.

Agree with Brent. Stitching is always prefered over glue as an attachment point, especially if you are going to use it for vigorous activities.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Most of my perlons don't use that kind of buckle; they use a ladder buckle. No glue, and it provides a second way to take up any excess length. A downside, tho, is that your buckle is one HECK of a lot nicer than any ladder buckle I've seen, in person or here; they're all rather lightweight. Esslinger or ofrei might have ladder buckles...or perhaps Holben's.

I would think the glue *should* be waterproof, as perlon should be a natural choice for that use.

Want to experiment? That looks like a single-pass, so it's easy to pull out and later replace. So slide it out. As you're getting ready for the daily bath/shower, you run the water to get it to the right temp. Hold the buckle end right under the water as you do so...say, every day for a week.
    Thanks a ton! I removed the glue easily with remover because I just didn't want to chance it. I then had it sewn heavily with a sewing machine, densely, using three threads so if one breaks two more are holding it. It's gorgeous now and secure. Thanks again!

Inquiring minds want to know...did the strap come glued? And if so, where did you get it?
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Yes it did come glued: the seller is "watchstraplanet" on eBay and the strap can be found searching for a Perlon strap from Italy. The envelope shipped from Greece.

I bought it because it was the closest Perlon yellow color to the second time zone complication coloring on my Seebataillon.

I am laughing at that stitch job. Boy oh boy... go stitch it properly or take it to someone to run it under a sewing machine with matching thread.
    Last edited by supawabb; August 4th, 2016 at 22:57.

I had even the sewing machine stitches removed because I realized cotton would degrade. I took it to a shoe repair place and had nylon string made for shoe soles stitched in.

It's beyond solid now.

Thread Information