Perlon......is it me or are they just crappy plastic?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Perlon......is it me or are they just crappy plastic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Perlon......is it me or are they just crappy plastic?

I ask as I am seeing more and more threads about 'Perlon straps'.

I have looked at a few threads and get the impression that they are just some shonky plastic woven into pretty patterns and colours?

I was wondering if some clever entrepreneur had found a 1970's warehouse full of old bell bottom trousers, wombles and lo and behold reels of this Perlon stuff and decided to stick some buckles on it and market it as the new 'must have it' item.

Please help,me out here.......surely it is not just some woven plastic?

Re: Perlon......is it me or are they just crappy plastic?

True perlon (i.e. Eulit) feels great on the wrist. Cheap “perlon” is more accurately nylon, and it does feel like cheap plastic. Like anything, there’s good examples and bad.
    Chromejob and TheFavorista like this.

Quote Originally Posted by qqbqbs View Post
    True perlon (i.e. Eulit) feels great on the wrist. Cheap “perlon” is more accurately nylon, and it does feel like cheap plastic. Like anything, there’s good examples and bad.
    Perlon is just a kind of nylon anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I tried a perlon strap and think they are trash. I bought a more expensive one thinking it would be better than a cheap one. The more expensive one was trash, IMHO.

Yep. Just nylon.

https://www.perlonstrap.com/what-is-...als-described/

Big advantage is, as a woven material, there are no fixed holes. Every space between the ribbons becomes a hole. Ergo, it can be sized perfectly. How often have you gotten a strap where optimal is halfway between? :) And it doesn't care about water.
    TheFavorista likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

just picked up my first perlon today. my first thought was that it was just cheap plastic, too. I'm still a bit undecided, but having worn it for the past few hours i'm coming around. The big test will be tomorrow when it's warm and muggy out since i purchased it specifically for hot weather.

it does look good on my sarb033, though

Like everyone's said, it's a woven nylon. The quality can vary MASSIVELY between the cheap and the expensive in my experience.

The better ones use resin to bind the fibers at the cut ends instead of heat sealing the ends. No scratchiness when it's done the hard way. For the scratchy ones, an emory board can smooth out the stray fibers.

The tightness of the weave can also have a big impact, with the higher number of strands across the thickness feeling more pliable to the wrist than the fewer number of strands. Conversely, a heavy watch with the higher number of strands weave can cause the band to cut into the wrist because the edge of the strap is thinner. For these, a coarser weave will feel better at the edges. The ones with large gaps built into the weave are amazing in their own way when the weather heats up.

The buckle can also have an effect, with a better quality buckle elevating the wearability of mediocre textiles. A low quality buckle will drag down even the best strap.

Eventually I'll have one of everything sold and can do a write up. I'm missing Crown and Buckle's offering and Undone watches is now in the game, so I'll likely end up getting one of theirs.
    Carl.1, Chromejob and TheFavorista like this.

I've tried a couple because I like the look, but I always get trash ones too. Does anyone know where to buy nice and maybe softer feeling ones?

In the US, try Crown and Buckle or Da Luca for their house lines. Holben's for Eulit.

ANd the link I posted? It's an info site, they had numerous links to sellers.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    Like everyone's said, it's a woven nylon. The quality can vary MASSIVELY between the cheap and the expensive in my experience.

The better ones use resin to bind the fibers at the cut ends instead of heat sealing the ends. No scratchiness when it's done the hard way. For the scratchy ones, an emory board can smooth out the stray fibers.

The tightness of the weave can also have a big impact, with the higher number of strands across the thickness feeling more pliable to the wrist than the fewer number of strands. Conversely, a heavy watch with the higher number of strands weave can cause the band to cut into the wrist because the edge of the strap is thinner. For these, a coarser weave will feel better at the edges. The ones with large gaps built into the weave are amazing in their own way when the weather heats up.

The buckle can also have an effect, with a better quality buckle elevating the wearability of mediocre textiles. A low quality buckle will drag down even the best strap.

Eventually I'll have one of everything sold and can do a write up. I'm missing Crown and Buckle's offering and Undone watches is now in the game, so I'll likely end up getting one of theirs.
    I would be interested in the write up.

At this point I am sitting on the fence but leaning toward the 'They are crap' side. I can however not be sure as I have not handled one myself and your review piques my interest.

I suspect they will be on the list of things that come and go in the watch world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information