A pictoral review of a Dangerous strap! Picture heavy!
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A pictoral review of a Dangerous strap! Picture heavy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A pictoral review of a Dangerous strap! Picture heavy!

I always wanted to try a fully bespoke truly custom watch strap. What had stopped me over the years was just never having a watch I loved enough to justify the expenditure such a thing would be. Well that changed when I got my Zelos Abyss, this was a watch I felt willing to spend some scratch to get a nice set of straps for. To some maybe it is too bulky, or ostentatious, or whatever, but I love the thing just oodles and oodles. So it came down to a decision of who to order this strap from, and what specifications do you want for it? I reviewed a metric ton of custom makers. Some more well known like Gunny Straps, Combat Straps, and Drunk Art but also more obscure things like more Etsy accounts than I care to remember. In the end I settled on making an order from John Glance of Dangerous 9 Straps.

So here we are roughly 4.5 months later and short a reasonable sum of my filthy lucre. In exchange though I got one helluva watch strap. The specs on this strap are as follows... 22 mm width no taper, rounded tip, brown finishing on the edges, brown no contrast straight stitch, two keepers (one fixed one floater), 3mm thick, 3mm holes and tang slot, and no padding. The internal side is a kangaroo leather with the outside being african goat. Yes, a poor goat was taken out to make this strap. It is refered to as "zanzibar" leather on his site for those curious.

I have got to say the pictures really don't do it justice. The fit and finish is as good as I can ever imagine a watch strap being, it is firm without being stiff, thick with weight... but can glide over your wrist, the texture on the leather is fantastic, and the inner lining has such a soft touch you don't even feel it. It is definitely the best strap I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of straps, many of them from high end makers like Bulag and Sons. John was even great to work with, upfront with realistic finishing time, explained all options, made suggestions, and was always quick to respond. So I definitely recomend D9 to anyone who wants to take the plunge on a serious bespoke strap, just be ready to wait, and pay for it. This is not a strap your getting for fifty dollars, or even a hundred.

So for those thinking about taking a dive, here is the site: Dangerous9straps

Re: A pictoral review of a Dangerous strap! Picture heavy!

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for but with John you absolutely do. It's without a doubt the most well crafted strap that I own and frankly it's worth every penny. I would never purchase an OEM strap at retail when D9 just does it worlds better. High quality materials and high quality construction.

Your strap looks great. Curious how you settled on African Goat. Never would have thought of it but it's textured is one to be desired. Happy strappin!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 577
Size:  93.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

You and he NAILED it. The color is excellent. The texture speaks to the whole watch wonderfully. The stitching and side finishing do what they should do here...blend in harmoniously. This isn't a place for contrast stitching. VERY nice.
    Karkarov likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@Castor, Honestly I originally wanted to go with Hornback, but he was unable to source it due to shipping restrictions and such. He recommended some different leather "sets" he had that might work and I reviewed all of them more than once. His African collection was one he advised and this leather happened to be in that collection. It definitely was not a situation where I just showed up and said "I want to make a strap out of a goat and a kangaroo!!!!" In the end what made me choose it was not only the cool texture it had, but it is also a fairly matte leather with only a little gloss to it, and it has great color variation in the texture itself. He also had a pic of a Breitling or maybe Omega using one of these straps on his site and it did look just fantastic.

@Gangrel, Thanks man :D!

You made the right choice. Really nice and your pictures are excellent as well. Enjoy it!
    Karkarov likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I wasn't suprised with the Kangaroo part because that seems to be his go to lining. Mine is actually lined with Kangaroo as well.

Who would have thunk it...African goat makes some unique and beautiful leather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CastorTroy3; August 4th, 2016 at 00:28.

Great strap, great pics. I like textured straps too.

Dave
    Karkarov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroy3 View Post
    I wasn't suprised with the Kangaroo part because that seems to be his go to lining. Mine is actually lined with Kangaroo as well.

Who would have thunk it...African goat makes some unique and beautiful leather!
    I can't blame him on the kangaroo, after wearing it I can understand why it is his go to lining leather. It is ridiculously comfortable and smooth on the wrist.

I have four recent (within last 2 years) D9 straps and agree that they are exquisite. However, I probably won't be ordering any more as I feel the price and lead time is a bit out of control, as they increased with each order (and my last order was made early last year). But, for those with the money and patience, D9s are great.

A couple of my D9s

Pallet Spoon likes this.
    Current Collection (reverse order of acquisition):
    BREITLING Galactic 41|PROMETHEUS Poseidon|BULOVA Moonwatch|SEIKO Tuna SBBN033|BREITLING SO Abyss|SEIKO Pepsi Turtle-X|GRUPPO GAMMA Vanguard|OMEGA PO 8500|ORIS BC4-DM|JEANRICHARD Terrascope|JEANRICHARD Aeroscope|PERPETUAL T-04|BENARUS Moray Vintage|PANERAI 560|LONGINES Heritage 1973|SWATCH Sistem 51|TUDOR Black Bay|BENARUS Moray 42|Ocean7 LM-7PVD|STOWA Antea KS|SEIKO GS SBGR051|G-Shock GS1050B|G-Shock GW7900RD-4|SEIKO SDGA001 EPD|PANERAI 312|BALL EMII DLC|BREITLING Airwolf (circa 2009)|BATHYS HAWAII AquaCulture Rose Ti|SEIKO Ananta SD GMT|BREITLING SuperOcean(circa 2007)|G-Shock Riseman|SEA-GULL M185SP|ORIS F1 Chrono '08

Quote Originally Posted by GX9901 View Post
    I have four recent (within last 2 years) D9 straps and agree that they are exquisite. However, I probably won't be ordering any more as I feel the price and lead time is a bit out of control, as they increased with each order (and my last order was made early last year). But, for those with the money and patience, D9s are great.

A couple of my D9s

The price is very high but any OEM (which is not near the same quality) and the other ultra high end brands (ABP, CF,) are the same price. Interested what your go to is now? While I'm not going to buy nine straps in this bracket I still think that they are the top choice in ultra high end. I'd love to be able get 75% of the quality for much less money. Reccemendations please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information