Pittards glove leather
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nokie
  • 1 Post By aardvarkbark
  • 1 Post By grover

Thread: Pittards glove leather

Inactive

Pittards glove leather

I recently bought a Darlena strap from Weston Watch Straps, with which I am very happy (all my purchases from WWS have been good)

It was descibed as "Darlena 'super soft' antique brown Pittards glove leather smooth strap" - it certainly is as comfortable as the ad made it sound.

Presumably Pittards is a leather manufacturer. What makes glove leather so much softer? Are there other brand names other than Pittards to look out for? How much of a pay-off is there regarding robustness of the material - do I need to be a bit more careful with this strap?

Name:  st5 14.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  55.4 KB

Re: Pittards glove leather

No idea what 'glove leather' could be. Good driving gloves are made from kid, which is goat, and it is very soft - but making a strap purely from this wouldn;t be prudent, you'd want to layer it over a core of something with more body to it, and then the strap would a little stiff, but very soft.

Likely, your strap is made from some kind of chrome tanned leather - many of these are very soft and supple, even in heavier weights.
    Influence is like the wind...

Inactive

Thanks. I Googled and found this from Pittard s:

The acknowledged superior material for gloving and soft shoe leather comes from the Hairsheep ('Cabretta') from Ethiopia and other sub tropical regions.
    This material offers all the features required, its thin tough structure giving strength and maximum dexterity to make a product which is both hard wearing and comfortable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It looks great on your watch and very comfy.
    Der Amf likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Banned

My bicycling gloves are made of Pittards leather, so I don't think extra carefulness is required of your straps.
    Der Amf likes this.

Hi,
    Leathers are classified for it's main purpose, specification , tanning and preparation process. Basicly glove leather is soft and has good streaching capability and should be resistant to sweat, moisture and light. Made from goats, sheeps, calf, deer and pig bellies. Should be soft and sliky in touch. That's a bridge version of full description I've found in my leather materials science book from '59 :) So we are looking at quality, soft leather here.

Cheers
    Mat
    Der Amf likes this.

Inactive

Thanks for all the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    It looks great on your watch and very comfy.
    It is very comfy, and the feel of it goes very nicely with the light discreet elegance of the f72 ST5. A lot of my straps are fairly chunky but I knew I wanted for this watch something more sleek. With the domes acrylic its scarcely the thinnest hw ever, but nonetheless it has a slender feel and deserved a strap that went with that.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    My bicycling gloves are made of Pittards leather, so I don't think extra carefulness is required of your straps.
    That's good to know, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grover View Post
    Hi,
    Leathers are classified for it's main purpose, specification , tanning and preparation process. Basicly glove leather is soft and has good streaching capability and should be resistant to sweat, moisture and light. Made from goats, sheeps, calf, deer and pig bellies. Should be soft and sliky in touch. That's a bridge version of full description I've found in my leather materials science book from '59 :) So we are looking at quality, soft leather here.

Cheers
    Mat
    Certainly it feels quality right now, the softness is lovely. Lets see how well it ages

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Certainly it feels quality right now, the softness is lovely. Lets see how well it ages
    Six months on and all is great: the leather still looks fresh and still feels excellent. The colour however is significantly darker than when I got it. Now definitely deep brown. Is that typical? The more refined the leather, the more it'll deepen in colour?

I've just seen that Darlena do a black strap in this leather, which may have just sorted out my next purchase.....

Thread Information