Quest for a brown strap, or, if you want it done right, maybe you'll have to do it yourself...
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Iandk
  • 1 Post By grindaur
  • 1 Post By Fatz028
  • 2 Post By gangrel
  • 1 Post By crazyfingers
  • 1 Post By Nokie
  • 1 Post By ZIPPER79

Thread: Quest for a brown strap, or, if you want it done right, maybe you'll have to do it yourself...

Quest for a brown strap, or, if you want it done right, maybe you'll have to do it yourself...

...or pay someone to custom make it for you! But before going that way, let's try a bit of DIY, since I'm a hands on kind of guy, and if all else fails, that'll be plan B or C or some other letter.

Anyhow, the story begins with the purchase of an Alpinist. You know, the nice green dial that looks good with brown, but which comes with this awful strap that looks like leather that's been preserved via plastination. Which of course quickly came off of the watch and went into storage, and I wore the watch on the bracelet which I got with the watch with this in mind.

Of course, without the brown, I found myself feeling that something was missing, so I started thinking about what to do. This is an Alpinist after all, and I do plan on wearing this everywhere (though not necessarily beat it up). If I want to wade through a stream and get it wet, I want something that won't get damaged, and which will dry quickly. That means a nylon NATO-style, right? Something that'll breathe when I'm sweaty is always nice too.

Well, trying to find a brown nylon NATO was an annoyance. Brown leather NATO's are all over and dominate all the search results. And brown nylons are just a rare breed...

So first off, tried a Cincy Strap Works 'Desert Sand':

Strap quality's pretty good, however the colour is way too light! I thought it'd be darker than that from the pictures on the web store, but it's pretty pale. However in hindsight, even if it was as dark as the pictures on the Cincy store, I don't think I would've been satisfied.

Next attempt, a BluShark 'Burnt Umber':

Okay, this buckle is awesome! The minimal side-to-side play of the tongue makes it a simpler affair to find the hole, compared to some NATO's where the thing wobbles all over the place. The shade of brown is unfortunately, too much on the red side.

Well, let's try one more place, this time, a Hello Nato Strap 'Dark Brown':

That's a bit more like it, at least for the colour. (It seems the lighting in which I took that picture makes the brown look more red than it actually is). The material is coarser and rougher than the other NATO's though. And the buckle that came with it felt way too flimsy (nevermind the tongue not even being centered on the strap!). Luckily, said buckle was actually held on by a springbar, so I popped it off and substituted another one for it (shown in the picture).

Strike three. Now what?

Well, it is a somewhat dressy design, so maybe a 2-piece nylon? Canvas? Cordura? Found a few, however they were lined with leather, or had other leather bits on there. Eulit's brown perlon, perhaps? Custom made?

Maybe I should just try making one myself... *wheels start turning, which isn't always a good thing*

And some brown Cordura just arrived:

You know, I think I like this dusty brown colour the most so far.

Wish me luck...

Re: Quest for a brown strap, or, if you want it done right, maybe you'll have to do it yourself...

yes by all means good luck. I tried my hand a making a folded canvas strap and gave up in that it took more attention to detail than i was equipped for at the moment. My better half says that I should of used the sewing machine rather than trying to saddle stitch it. I was all set to ask about the first strap, it looked in the photo to be a mix of brass/bronze and stainless steel . If you are trying to do a brown NATO you might want to look into the idea of going bronze/brass keepers and buckle. The buckle guy has brass keepers and buckles but not the pre V you seemed to like on one of your straps. I am to the point of pulling the trigger on a couple of them in 22 and 24 mm from Hong Kong and seeing what I get.
    Iandk likes this.

Re: Quest for a brown strap, or, if you want it done right, maybe you'll have to do it yourself...

Look at Hirsch straps. They will have what you need.
    Iandk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hirsch? The only nylon strap of theirs that I found is a rather bright looking green.

I know they do have some 'water resistant' leather straps, which would probably be functional enough, but seeing I'm pretty much set on a textile strap now...
    Last edited by Iandk; September 3rd, 2016 at 04:42.

Eulit canvas brown (2 piece, but still...)

Eulit brown perlon...both gold-tone and silver-tone buckles are available

I believe these are available as both 1 piece and 2 piece straps.

Pics from Holben's
    Eulit Kristall Woven Nylon / Perlon Brown

I definitely prefer perlon to nylon in every way.
    Nokie and Iandk like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

The Eulit Canvas is leather lined, alas. Two piece is not a problem actually, at least that's what I'm planning to try to make.

I'd considered the Eulit Perlon as I mentioned, but not a big fan of how the tongue just goes in between the weave, as much as it gives you more fine adjustability.

All the best! Really looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Quote Originally Posted by grindaur View Post
    My better half says that I should of used the sewing machine rather than trying to saddle stitch it.
    Although, I haven't tried stitching canvas, I agree with this. Saddle stitching something soft will be quite a task.
    Iandk likes this.
    Are you watching closely?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog:
    http://watchesindia.blogspot.com/
    Instagram: @crazystrobist

Good luck. Canvas can be interesting to work with, so please post some pictures when completed.
    Iandk likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

If you prepare properly it won't be that hard. Do you use a stitching pony, if not it will be very difficult to hold everything together for stitching. If you do, than it'll be much easier.....

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfingers View Post
    Although, I haven't tried stitching canvas, I agree with this. Saddle stitching something soft will be quite a task.
    Iandk likes this.
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, Bulova Lunar Pilot with date, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

Thread Information