A Question of Style...
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zephyrnoid

Thread: A Question of Style...

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

A Question of Style...

I sure hope this becomes a 'sticky' some day...

Why I advocate that straps be attached to wrist-watches with the buckle end at the '6' rather than at the customary '12'.

Briefly...
    With the buckle end at the '6' ,when the wearer twists their wrist to read the time, the signed buckle, is displayed to onlookers, who at close proximity can thus read the buckle 'signature' or logo (if any). When straps are oriented in the traditional fashion (attached at the '12'), the tag end is presented to onlookers and if the buckle is visible, it will show the signature upside down,and the tag can be caught up in all manner of 'snares'.

I've noticed that in the past, the exposed tag end of my watches would frequently become caught in nearby 'snares' particularly in my location photography assignments. Impediments and traps such as, coat sleeves, luggage straps, door handles, domestic and professional gear, the dog's collar, and the such-would somehow become caught as I passed my hand askance. This predicament is simply annoying and results in frequent readjustment of the dislodged keepers and tag ends.

I recently consulted with some experts in the Dutch police and discovered from them that pick-pockets depend on the exposed strap tag ends as a starting point for relieving gentlemen of their finer timepieces. Relocating the tag end to face the inside of the wearer, mitigates watch theft considerably.

A final benefit of this simple modification is that in photographs where a recumbent wrist watch is being displayed, the watch case becomes the 'head' and the buckle the 'tail'. This seems to sit well with me when arranging my photographs. In that respect... >>here is my portfolio<< .
    I'll let you be the judge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by zephyrnoid; March 2nd, 2014 at 18:37.

Re: A Question of Style...

Making things more difficult for pickpockets, and reducing snagging, sound like good reasons to do this, but making the buckle signing easier to read seems pointless for two reasons:

1. I don't really care if anyone knows what sort of watch I'm wearing. I'd rather that the writing were right side up when I see the buckle (e.g. to admire it )
    2. I've never noticed anyone staring at the buckle of my watch while reading the time. For one thing, when I read the time, I don't lift my watch up to eye level. I just twist my wrist so the watch is facing me from about navel level. So only really short people would benefit from this.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

::subwave:: Chronograph Sea-Gull "1963" ChronographVortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage) Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

OK 😁

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First world problems

i have seen this case made before, but for most it seems it has not caught on

i find it very hard to put a watch on that way. i am almost alway standing when i but the watch on, and i tend to lay the watch on my wrist, and then i hold the strap against my stomach and with the other had fit the buckle over the the tail end. if the parts are reversed, i can not see the buckle under my wrist to fit the tail through.

for me i need to hold everything securely while putting on the watch, so it does not hit the floor.

i am afraid i will have to stick to the traditional buckle orientation.

Interesting idea......
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

@tylehman For decades I used to put my field coats and backpacks on the same way as the rest of the world. One arm in first ( my right) , then struggle to find the armhole for the left!
    Then one day, a friend demonstrated the 'Euroflip'. Reverse the backpack and plant both arms in at the same time and flip the sucker over your head. Bingo! Pack on!
    Once in a while you have to believe that the Earth is NOT flat and look at things from a different perspective.
    Like wearing your watch INSIDE your wrist- it's safer for the watch and probably results in less wrist strain and fewer stolen watches ;)
    Everyone will protest that you are then depriving the world of a gander at your pride and joy.
    Well think how silly an UPSIDE DOWN dial looks to the rest of the world
    If showing off is the objective then shouldn't we we wear our watches UPSIDE DOWN then ?
    "Think Different" is a slogan for MAC users and all that they do- not just for their personal computing
    ;)
    Last edited by zephyrnoid; March 4th, 2014 at 04:02.
    tylehman likes this.

"think different" is a pretty old slogan for Mac.

i am sure that flipping my backpack over my head would spill a lot of stuff out of the pockets...
    i think i would do a lot more damage wearing it on the inside banging it on my desk and everything...
    now wearing a watch upside down?? i should get a big 60mm Invicta and wear it upside down like you say, if i am going to wear it for others to look at, i guess i better make it big enough so that they can read the time for where across the room...

i am afraid you can't teach this dog all of those new tricks, but i did change how i fold my shirts. How To Fold a T-shirt in 2 seconds - YouTube
    now that is one change you should really consider.

by the way that is a very nice portfolio you listed in the OP

@tylehman I guess I'm in "Old Dog" territory myself😂 my head is full of ideas for an article on watches but I've decided to shut up since learning a long time ago that the flat earth society like to keep the earth flat for a reason. Comfort. Loved the T-shirt tutorial but I use a folding sheet and find it almost as fast and besides, I use the finding sheet for dress shirts.
    BTW FAV watches are driving watches, because that where I usually am, when racing against time😉

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thread Information