Quick release spring bars on a pass through strap
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Quick release spring bars on a pass through strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick release spring bars on a pass through strap

I like quick release spring bars for the convenience but (perhaps irrationally) they seem less secure to me than regular ones. But I put my Seaforth on an Erikas’s MN strap with quick release spring bars. It was really easy to install and I figure both spring bars would have to fail for me to lose the watch. Am I missing anything do you think? Thanks for any advice/insight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CLP
    It's all good. Been doing that with my NATOs lately too.

Re: Quick release spring bars on a pass through strap

As long as the bar does not catch on anything to release it,looks good to me.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    As long as the bar does not catch on anything to release it,looks good to me.
    This. Shouldn't be a problem, & not that unusual (Merci's LMM-01 was sold w/quick-release spring bars on a G10/NATO). The Erika's strap is not as secure as a G10/NATO because it doesn't have the extra layer of material, but OP should be fine.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

My Certina DS PH200M came with leather and NATO straps and two sets of quick release spring bars, so it seems Certina isn’t concerned about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: WatchOutChicago
    Perpetually flipping...

Thanks for the feedback. I am sticking with these for now.

Quote Originally Posted by shadash View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I am sticking with these for now.
    May I ask the brand of the quick release spring bars you're using? Also in the market for a good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen-gmt-master View Post
    This. Shouldn't be a problem, & not that unusual (Merci's LMM-01 was sold w/quick-release spring bars on a G10/NATO). The Erika's strap is not as secure as a G10/NATO because it doesn't have the extra layer of material, but OP should be fine.
    The extra layer of material on a G10 NATO doesn't help secure the watch when on spring bar fails. Any one piece strap (even a single layer) offers that protection. Think about it: only the top layer of the strap actually interfaces with the spring bars on the watch. The second layer of the strap was originally designed to keep the watch from sliding down the strap when hung from a peg on the wall. For most watches this is a non-issue, especially since the NATO strap tends to be a friction fit between the spring bars and the case of the watch. It's only with a thin strap and spring bar that is mounted low in the lugs (relative to the watch case) as well as far from the case (large gap) that the watch would slide around on the strap. Even then, it would only happen when the watch is not strapped to your wrist, and the watch would have to travel a long way down the strap to actually fall off. In summary: a non-issue. :)
    stolen-gmt-master and gav1230 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CrownAndBuckle View Post
    The extra layer of material on a G10 NATO doesn't help secure the watch when on spring bar fails. Any one piece strap (even a single layer) offers that protection. Think about it: only the top layer of the strap actually interfaces with the spring bars on the watch. The second layer of the strap was originally designed to keep the watch from sliding down the strap when hung from a peg on the wall. For most watches this is a non-issue, especially since the NATO strap tends to be a friction fit between the spring bars and the case of the watch. It's only with a thin strap and spring bar that is mounted low in the lugs (relative to the watch case) as well as far from the case (large gap) that the watch would slide around on the strap. Even then, it would only happen when the watch is not strapped to your wrist, and the watch would have to travel a long way down the strap to actually fall off. In summary: a non-issue. :)
    You are correct that the 2nd layer of fabric on a G10/NATO doesn't offer additional protection from a failed spring bar, but rather from excessive sliding, including off the strap. I like vintage military watches w/fixed bars & long lugs, so my (skewed) experience has lead me to favor the extra layer except for really thick watches.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen-gmt-master View Post
    You are correct that the 2nd layer of fabric on a G10/NATO doesn't offer additional protection from a failed spring bar, but rather from excessive sliding, including off the strap. I like vintage military watches w/fixed bars & long lugs, so my (skewed) experience has lead me to favor the extra layer except for really thick watches.
    Have you ever had a watch rotate around your wrist on the strap?

I ditched "natos" and cut all the keepers off after I started to favor pass through straps. The extra keep does nothing, my watches never move anything. Be it properly sized straps, under or over sized straps in width and thickness. With proper tension I can't imagine they would. I can dangle my watch by the buckle and she won't slide off the strap.

Most of my nylon straps have nice little indents from where they live.
    gav1230 likes this.
    Wrist: 6.75

Tudor Black Bay 58
    1966 Omega Constellation
    Bulova Lunar Pilot
    Seiko SKX007
    Vostok Amphibian /Komandirskie

Brother of OoO

Instagram: Offset_Crown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information