Quick review of my custom made Horween Leather strap from Vieux Halloo
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill Smith
  • 1 Post By Nokie

Thread: Quick review of my custom made Horween Leather strap from Vieux Halloo

Quick review of my custom made Horween Leather strap from Vieux Halloo

Let me first start by saying that I've been looking for some replacement straps for some time for my Muhle-Glashutte City 99, but the major issue is that it uses a non-standard strap (utilizing what is sometimes referred to a "Gucci Notch"). The black leather strap that came with the watch is beautiful in its own right, but I've been wanting to change up the color and do a little something different for some time.

Although there are a lot of great custom strapmakers, I really didn't have a big budget to replace the strap after having picked up one of my "mini grails" over the holidays (whole different story), and the really good customs can get a bit pricey.

So low and behold I came across a review on the Time Bum for Mitch Boudreaux's Vieux Halloo on Etsy that seemed to fit the bill.

I'm not going to try and recreate the Time Bum's review (btw a great read, and I agree with the synopsis), but wanted to just add my experience and some photos.

First of all, Mitch was great to deal with and was very honest in saying in the beginning he wasn't sure if he could do the custom for the Muhle, but he'd give it a shot and I wouldn't be on the hook for paying for it if he couldn't do it -- which I thought was a great gesture.

The number of options that he had were great, and I opted for the Tan Chromexcel Horween Leather, which actually really wasn't tan but more of a reddish hue. He mentioned this, and he's got a lot of photos on his Etsy site that prospective buyers can look at. The best part is that for the custom order on my strap it was $50, which is very reasonable for a handmade strap!

Bottom line, after some back and forth confirming some details on the strap, he got started and after a little over a week it was done. Mitch sent me a quick picture (below) to verify if it looked ok, and I was thrilled to get this bad boy on the watch. Mitch also mentioned to let him know if it didn't fit right when I got it.

Needless to say, as soon as I received the watch I replaced the strap, and it fits perfectly! I love the look of the leather, where it almost has a slight vintage feel to it, but overall the thinness (which I was looking for) was just what my Muhle needed! The fit, finish and overall quality is top notch, and I'm quite pleased with the strap and Mitch's overall work.

Bottom line, is when I need another great, beautiful and affordable replacement strap for some of my other beauties, I will absolutely go first to Mitch Boudreaux's Vieux Halloo!

Without further ado, here's a few pics (sorry, photography is definitely not my specialty!)

Name:  pEG5Lne.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  108.1 KB

Name:  74iAIC7l.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  PP7mboll.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  41.0 KB
    Last edited by pinoymutt; January 14th, 2015 at 03:07.

Re: Quick review of my custom made Horween Leather strap from Vieux Halloo

Nice and affordable. I hate those pesky, little things like the "Gucci Notch" to try to force you to buy their replacement strap.
    pinoymutt likes this.

Great experience. Looks really nice with that white dial.

Etsy is a treasure trove of great strap maker and varieties if you shop around.
    Last edited by Nokie; January 14th, 2015 at 19:41.
    pinoymutt likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just picked up a few Horween straps from Vieux Halloo off of his eBay store. Great price for quality straps. I agree with everything above!

Holy crap. I need this for my Cartier Ballon.

Thread Information