Resale value of spare links?

Thread: Resale value of spare links?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Resale value of spare links?

Mods: if this is inappropriate here, or not allowed, please remove.

I have Googled, Yahoo'd, and "searched" without much success. My question: how can I find out the approximate resale value of the extra links I have accumulated for watches long sold? For instance, I have spare links for an IWC Doppelflieger, for a Piaget Polo, for a Cartier Santos, etc. Do I just dump them on eBay? I wouldn't even know what kind of "reserve" to put on them. Do I offer them here? No idea what to ask for.

Any suggestions? TIA

Re: Resale value of spare links?

I think it might be a classic case of them having no value unless someone wants them.

Personally, if I had spare links and another forum member wanted them, I'd give them away.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I think it might be a classic case of them having no value unless someone wants them.

Personally, if I had spare links and another forum member wanted them, I'd give them away.
    Well, yes, ordinarily I would do that also - with links for a Seiko, Citizen, Casio...heck, even Breitling. But when a single 18k gold Polo link for a man's bracelet costs about $400 and I have two of them, I thought I might find someone who would appreciate buying them for, say, $150. each. On the other hand, if you would just give them away I would say that is mighty generous of you. I guess all those sellers on eBay selling single links are just as greedy as I am.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, even though they were part of the price of the watch, I wouldn't feel as though they had cost me anything.

I would probably only give them to a member I knew, though. And if I thought there was a chance I might sell the watch one day, I would keep them.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I agree with tribe125, they only have a value if someone needs them, just like supply and demand. I've given away valuable parts before, just because I no longer had a use for them, second because, someone else needed them, and third, they had no value except for the equipment the part fit.
    Of course if the parts you have, have a value because of materials, like Gold, you could sell them for their material value. The rarer the item you have a part for, the least likley you'll find a buyer obviously. I doubt you will ever get the price that a retailer advertises them for, unless you get lucky.
    Regards Sonny
    Motorcycling is my LIFE..
    2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

Ditto to that.

I stated clearly that I wasn't expecting to get "retail" and that I do give away parts/links for most watches - but not for IWC, Breguet, AP, or similar. All the links I have are between $300 and $500 each if you had to purchase them from an AD. I haven't seen anyone give away Delaurian straps, no matter how well used they are.

I'm sorry I even brought this up.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceDog View Post
    I stated clearly that I wasn't expecting to get "retail" and that I do give away parts/links for most watches - but not for IWC, Breguet, AP, or similar. All the links I have are between $300 and $500 each if you had to purchase them from an AD. I haven't seen anyone give away Delaurian straps, no matter how well used they are.

I'm sorry I even brought this up.

I meant Ditto to the comment Tribe made but hit the wrong QUOTE reply button ?? I think, I said Ditto to this

So don't dispair over it

I don't see the problem, if you have something that nobody wants, what's it worth? A strap can be used on many different brand of watches, links are different. Why not find the respective forums for the watches you have links for? and see if someone needs one. Again, if no one needs it, then it's only worth the value of the material it's made from. Lot's of good parts are destroyed and thrown away each day because no one needs the part. There may be a poor soul somewhere in need of one of the links you have, that's the guy you need to find, to everyone else, they have no value.
    I just paid 20.00 for 3 links for a watch I paid 35.00 for, I needed the links to make the bracelet fit. On the other hand I wouldn't pay 20 for one of the links you have because I can't use it, and it has no value to me.
    Regards Sonny
    Motorcycling is my LIFE..
    2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE 1000 View Post
    "...I think it might be a classic case of them having no value unless someone wants them.
    So don't dispair over it..."
    Much like NOS buckles or bezel inserts! (No dispair here! :thanks )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information